To all 5.4L guys. a warning from my mechanic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06LimitedNJ

Reaction score
I actually had this happen on my 02 F-150 5.4.

The truck had about 60K on it when it happened. The lobe of the coil where the screw hole is broke and vibrated like hell, and vibrated the plug free. Had to get the head fixed.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow, sounds like a run of bad luck from some of you. i never had any problems with my 98 and my 01 has 111K on it and no problems yet. i think you just win some or lose some. but i agree with most. i wouldnt recommend locktite or anything to "lock" in your plugs. just make sure to keep them gapped and torqued to specifications and you "shouldnt" have any problems but with any car, some will have more problems than others.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I nvr had a problem with a thrown plug. ive lost 2 coil packs b4. that sux. try getting to school and back with no power going up hill and down both ways in the rain. not to fun. but ive nvr thrown a plug. my cousins bfs old 150 with i dont remember which engine has thrown 3 plugs in the same cylinder. so i guess its just luck. idk wht to say.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thread sealant ? Never on a plug.

I have always used anti sieze on every plug for every car i have worked on
for 35 years. Never had a plug spit out. My 2002 5.4 got new plugs at 90k.
I now have put 20k on them. I have lost 3 cops since but even the plugs were inspected and re-installed.
No problems here.
Seems Thread sealant would cause more problems than it would solve.

reg442

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they sell repair kits just for that as ford knew of the problem. it took me about 4 hours to replace a blown out plug on our ecololine with the 5.4 # 8 cylinder.. it was my first time. kit is expensive... basically a helocoil kit.. if it happens to you its not the end of the vehicle..

Reaction score
I have 140,000 and have had all my plugs replaced...14 hours and a long,long extension and a good swivel and socket(the passenger side back ones are soooo hard!)So far no issues but am driving literally diagnally across the states from Washington to Georgia...will let know if ANY issues like that!

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I've heard of these 2v motor's spitting plugs (knock on wood) not me... but ordered new COPs and got to go get some plugs and gonna have to change mine soon so I've been looking into tips on how to change them... now only problem is why the hell did I lift it 11" with 37s gonna be a pain in the @$$ to change my plugs... lol o well should be good for at least 50K after I get them done by then I'll either get rid of my expy or go big block..

A3Middie

Reaction score
My wife's cousin has worked at a Ford dealership for about ten years now. He says the problem does exist but is not as common as some say that it is. The most important thing to do to help prevent it from happening is to ONLY use motorcraft plugs and torque to spec for 5.4 or 4.6, I think the specs vary depending on the born on date. Apparently the alloy in the motorcraft plug is the only one recommended for use in the 5.4 family of engines. Don't know if all of this is true or not, just on what I have been told.

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had one of my plugs blow out of the cylinder. I have just over 130,000 on my 5.4 and the plugs were all replaced by my shop when my coils went bad a few thousand miles ago. At first I thought it was my valves rattling and I was dreading what it would cost me to get a valve job. Over the next few days the rattling got progressively worse. The rattling wasn't too bad (I couldn't hear it when my windows were up) but it was clearly heard while the engine was running. Then while I was driving it just popped out. So for all the guys with the first generation Tritons, just listen for what sounds like a rattling valve.

My shop says exactly what a lot of you are saying, it does happen, but not nearly as often as many make it seem. I'm kinda perturbed that the plugs my shop installed popped out in only a few thousand miles, but I just don't have the time to do every repair myself... plus the whole competency thing (or lack thereof), I'm no professional yet. Haha.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a 97 with almost 198,000, got it from my mom and she had it since new and never had a problem and i use only ngk plugs