To change the tranny oil or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 98 Expedition is running fine, but there's a whine during acceleration. My mechanic says it's definitely coming from the transmission and she is 80% certain it's caused by a clogged filter. She says there's a risk that the tranny could fail after changing the fluid IF the fluid hasn't been changed before. I don't know if the previous owners ever changed the fluid or not. The fluid does not look or smell burnt.

The truck has a 4R70W transmission. I don't mind doing the work or paying someone to do it, but I do NOT want to have the transmission go out on me as a result if I do. Without knowing how long the fluid has been in there, do I change the fluid and filer or leave them alone?

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When my Mountaineer started to get up in mileage I would just the fluid in the pan and the filter. I wouldn't flush anything out.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My mechanic told me that flushing it would definitely blow some seals out at that mileage. I won't have it flushed, I just plan to drop the pan (slowly), change the filter, then refill it. If I need to I will drain the torque converter as well... IF I can be sure it's not going to make things worse.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. if SHE was in the kitchen making sandwiches as she should be you wouldn't be getting false info.
2. Changing fluid on an otherwise good trans will not make it worse. Not changing it can only hurt it. Many time people change the fluid on a tranny that is already bad and thing that the fluid change killed it.
3. I dropped the pan, changed the filter, drained the torque convertor and refilled all and all is well and I had over 100K on my tranny and then pulled my 6x12' trailer with my Harley in it to and from Myrtle in 85*+ heat- no issues

wakeboarderNH

Reaction score
Heres what I would do/am going to do when I get around to changing my ATF

Buy Seafoam trans tune -
Get valvoline high mileage (or royal purple if I can afford it)
A new filter
and change the fluid. Not changing the filter and fluid in the tranny is crazy. And what your mechanic said is very strange. Not changing the ATF because of the miles is like not changing your engine oil in fear of blowing a head gasket.

But - this is my own opinion, I'm only an 18 year old who just started going to college for my associates degree in Diesel Tech at UNOH. My advice is to change it.

OP
OP
S

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. if SHE was in the kitchen making sandwiches as she should be you wouldn't be getting false info.
2. Changing fluid on an otherwise good trans will not make it worse. Not changing it can only hurt it. Many time people change the fluid on a tranny that is already bad and thing that the fluid change killed it.
3. I dropped the pan, changed the filter, drained the torque convertor and refilled all and all is well and I had over 100K on my tranny and then pulled my 6x12' trailer with my Harley in it to and from Myrtle in 85*+ heat- no issues

"She" does, in fact, refer to a mechanic, and I think she had it in mind there might be other issues with the transmission. If there are, I can't think of what they would be--it runs fine.

I'll probably go ahead and change the fluid and filter when it's not freezing cold outside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: I drained enough transmission fluid to drop the pan, then drained the pan and cleaned it out. The only thing I found in there was this glop of gray greasy stuff and the factory dust plug. Two of the bolts on the pan have damaged threads, which is not from my work.
Underneath the grease, of course, is where I found a large magnet. There whole thing was a little smaller in diameter than a tennis ball, but most of the glop was actually the magnet, not the grease.
My mechanic explained that the gray grease was actually fine metal shavings from the transmission. While it's not good, it's to be expected since the vehicle has 185,000 miles. I cleaned the pan thoroughly, tossed the dust plug, and installed a new filter. The gasket is supposedly reusable, so I reused it when I put the pan back on.
I slowly added five quarts of fluid. I think the level is a tad high (it's just over the crosshatched area when it's hot), but I'm not terribly concerned at the moment due to the fact then pan might leak.

Let me tell you it has made night and day difference. There's no whine, no bumping in ANY gear except rarely when the torque converter locks up...and it definitely doesn't slip at all! It's like I have a new truck. The thing sounds like a luxury car now instead of an old school bus. I'm tellin ya, it shifts smooth as glass. There must have been a mechanic in one of those bottles of fluid. I bet I poured him into the transmission and he fixed it all up.

The thing about old fluid holding a tranny together is probably overblown. Sure, tranny service is expensive, but it's better than replacing the gearbox. An overwhelming majority of the people I asked here and on facebook told me to change the fluid and filter. My mechanic didn't tell me not to change it, but she did inform me of the "risk", and told me she thought the filter was "stopped up".
I had another mechanic tell me the transmission would need an overhaul if the filter was stopped up. It may eventually need that, yes, but I also expect that over the course of its lifetime, EVERY transmission is going to deposit at least some metal into the oil from normal wear and tear.

Now if I can convince a friend of mine to change the fluid in his Dodge... :ponder:

Oh, yeah, the one thing I still need to ask is what's the easiest way to drain a bit of fluid? A week from Saturday if it isn't cold out and if the level still shows high, I'm gonna drain a little of it.

Last edited: