Torsion Twist Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordhearter

Reaction score
So I am in the middle of converting my 4 wheel air ride to xlt torsion bars and springs. I got the front done and I got 3in lift give or take. But I will adjust it to match when I do the springs and spacers in the rear. What’s the max height you can go before it’s too much?

Currently my Right Front measurements are

Before
Fender to ground 34 1/4 in
Fender to center of axle/hub 20 7/8 in

Now
Fender to ground 37 5/8 in
Fender to center of axle/hub 23 5/8 in

LostExpy88

Reaction score
So I am in the middle of converting my 4 wheel air ride to xlt torsion bars and springs. I got the front done and I got 3in lift give or take. But I will adjust it to match when I do the springs and spacers in the rear. What’s the max height you can go before it’s too much?

Did you already covert it?

I am going to order the parts but am in between do i order the conversion or do i order springs and lift shocks to add spacers and the 3 inch keys?

OP
OP
Fordhearter

Fordhearter

Reaction score
Yeah I finished a couple days ago. I just swapped in xlt torsion bars in the front with Rancho 4in lift shocks and the rear is xlt springs with 2in spacers and Rancho 4in lift shocks also. I think i need to put a spacer on the front shocks because they might be a little short since I lifted the front end a little also with the torsion twist.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rancho makes different length shocks depending on your lift. Look online, or if you bought them locally, your shop should be able to hook you up with right length.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me, the most important factor in a "too much torsion twist" equation is the angle of the front CV shafts - you don't want it too extreme, or you'll be busting those.

OP
OP
Fordhearter

Fordhearter

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think they are at too much of an angle. I figure I am at 1in torsion twist lift when compared to a stock xlt. But taking out my air ride and installing xlt bars and a twist gave me 2in over a air ride ex in the front. Once my family leaves from visiting us here in Washington I will post up some pictures.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't swap my torsion bars after recently replacing my air ride. What was the desire to do so for you?

Currently, measuring from the top of the wheel well, down the center line of the rim, my front sits 37" and my rear sits 35" - both of which is higher than it was with the air ride.

I'm going to install a pair of coil spacers in the back to level things out at 37".

OP
OP
Fordhearter

Fordhearter

Reaction score
I had 4 wheel air so the torsion bars had to be swapped out because they are weaker then xlt bars. If you only have rear air then you don’t need to swap them. I have my front set at 37 1/2 from the fender to the ground and rear is 37 1/2 also with 2in coil spacers. I kinda like the slightly higher rear end like trucks have so I just left it evened it out.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had 4-wheel air as well. My EB torsion bars are just fine, and the thing rides beautifully.