Bilstein + Sumosprings ride height?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey Smith

Reaction score
Hi-

I recently had a mechanic help install Bilstein 5100 struts (front and rear, lowest setting so should be no ride heigh change) and some sumosprings (CS1168) in the rear on my 2019 Expy Max XLT 4x4.

While the mechanics assured me the ride height would not increase, it has. Back has gone up by 2-2.5” and front has gone up 3/4”. Also the passenger side is generally about an inch higher than the driver side.

The mechanic has told me the rear is up because the sumosprings are keeping the springs from compressing and that the gas tank being 1/2 full and being on the driver side is why there is a lean towards the driver side.

My concern is that I have a family trip planned where I need to tow my RV next week and am scrambling to make sure the Expy is safe to drive.

Any thoughts on:
1. Do the sumo springs raise the ride height in the rear?

2. Does the gas tank being on the driver side cause such leaning? When measuring in the past I never noticed a lean.

3. Any thoughts on safety and driving the Expy in its current state next week in case I cannot get it all sorted out before my trip? When driving around town I do not notice much difference but I have not towed with it yet.

Thx!

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi-

I recently had a mechanic help install Bilstein 5100 struts (front and rear, lowest setting so should be no ride heigh change) and some sumosprings (CS1168) in the rear on my 2019 Expy Max XLT 4x4.

While the mechanics assured me the ride height would not increase, it has. Back has gone up by 2-2.5” and front has gone up 3/4”. Also the passenger side is generally about an inch higher than the driver side.

The mechanic has told me the rear is up because the sumosprings are keeping the springs from compressing and that the gas tank being 1/2 full and being on the driver side is why there is a lean towards the driver side.

My concern is that I have a family trip planned where I need to tow my RV next week and am scrambling to make sure the Expy is safe to drive.

Any thoughts on:
1. Do the sumo springs raise the ride height in the rear?

2. Does the gas tank being on the driver side cause such leaning? When measuring in the past I never noticed a lean.

3. Any thoughts on safety and driving the Expy in its current state next week in case I cannot get it all sorted out before my trip? When driving around town I do not notice much difference but I have not towed with it yet.

Thx!
I have a 2wd 2019 Max and I did the install of the Bilsteins 5100’s myself. I also have the sumo spring helpers in the rear.
1. See my linked post below. The Sumo springs raised my ride height by about 0.25 inches in the rear.
Post in thread 'What Have You Done to Your 4th Gen This Week?'
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...e-to-your-4th-gen-this-week.40264/post-441604

2. I do not notice a lean based on full or empty tank. I can’t say I have ever measured before. I never pull up behind another Expedition and think I can tell if they have a full or empty tank based on a lean.

Something is not right in the installation. The most likely things in my opinion are as follows:
1. The incorrect PN’s of shocks were used.
2. The incorrect snap ring position was selected. The lowest setting is not necessarily the correct setting to maintain the stock ride height. The Bilstein manual should be referenced.
3. The spring holder that goes against the snap ring on the shocks was installed upside down.

OP
OP
J

Joey Smith

Reaction score
I have a 2wd 2019 Max and I did the install of the Bilsteins 5100’s myself. I also have the sumo spring helpers in the rear.
1. See my linked post below. The Sumo springs raised my ride height by about 0.25 inches in the rear.
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...e-to-your-4th-gen-this-week.40264/post-441604

2. I do not notice a lean based on full or empty tank. I can’t say I have ever measured before. I never pull up behind another Expedition and think I can tell if they have a full or empty tank based on a lean.

Something is not right in the installation. The most likely things in my opinion are as follows:
2. The incorrect snap ring position was selected. The lowest setting is not necessarily the correct setting to maintain the stock ride height. The Bilstein manual should be referenced.
3. The spring holder that goes against the snap ring on the shocks was installed upside down.
Thanks for the comments. Helpful to hear from someone experienced with the install. I am pretty sure the PN is correct as I did speak with a Bilstein support person and he confirmed. The manual does indicate

Thanks for the comments! Helpful to hear from someone experienced with the install. I am pretty sure the PN is correct as I did speak with a Bilstein support person and he confirmed. The manual does indicate that for stock height it should be at the lowest ring position. The spring holder being upside down I would not know about but will check with the mechanic on that. Unfortunately, the mechanic has been defensive about his work so I am concerned he is not going to admit he made an error.

Here are a few pics. Angle may not be great. Any obvious visible problems?

Attachments

• E1821CAA-271D-4A0A-B017-70311B3A87DB.jpeg
    E1821CAA-271D-4A0A-B017-70311B3A87DB.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 60714A97-A4CB-4B9A-ABD1-4D2EB6A137D5.jpeg
    60714A97-A4CB-4B9A-ABD1-4D2EB6A137D5.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 70
  • A8291408-B5C5-4C6A-BC59-8A240EB2F513.jpeg
    A8291408-B5C5-4C6A-BC59-8A240EB2F513.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 68
  • F7BD9CD4-5C04-401D-813E-CFE815EFD62B.jpeg
    F7BD9CD4-5C04-401D-813E-CFE815EFD62B.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 73

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe try taking out the sumos and see what happens to the ride height? You really shouldn't need them if your weight distribution hitch is set up properly. The rear sags if the WDH isn't sending enough weight to the front axles.

OP
OP
J

Joey Smith

Reaction score
Maybe try taking out the sumos and see what happens to the ride height? You really shouldn't need them if your weight distribution hitch is set up properly. The rear sags if the WDH isn't sending enough weight to the front axles.
I was thinking to remove them as they are more nice to have…was thinking it would help with the front to back porpoising I feel once in a while…sounds like that is not causing the ~2-3inch rise though based on what I am seeing in response so far…

OP
OP
J

Joey Smith

Reaction score
Can’t see much in the front, but it look like one of the rear lower spring perch is upside down.
Which is the one that looks upside down? The rear one with the 3 ring positions showing or the other rear one?

I will try and point it out to the mechanic and have him take another look…

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This one is upside down. It will raise your ride height by inches if upside down. The opposite side and front looked correct to me. I would also suggest on all 4 counting the number of visible snap ring grooves.

Attachments

• 6E53B20B-CB1C-473D-BB03-543F2C7B2FBF.jpeg
    6E53B20B-CB1C-473D-BB03-543F2C7B2FBF.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 54

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This one is upside down. It will raise your ride height by inches if upside down. The opposite side and front looked correct to me. I would also suggest on all 4 counting the number of visible snap ring grooves.
Good catch!