total electrical power loss for 5 minutes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Dycus

Reaction score
So last night I pulled my 2009 Expedition Limited 2wd into my driveway, put it in park and turned it off.
I noticed that the headlights went off and the interior lights did not come on when I killed the engine. Everything was dead as if I had removed the battery. No lights, ignition, horn... nothing. I popped the hood and the battery terminals were corroded pretty bad. Up until this happened I have not had any charging issues. I was about to get my battery cleaning supplies to clean the terminals when everything came back on as if nothing had happened. Started right up without hesitation. I had not touched anything, not even the battery. Didn't act like it was even a low battery.

Security system?
A dead short, why would it have started again without doing or touching anything?

Most of the time it runs great but last year my AC suddenly went out without any warning. It was working great and then nothing. At the same time all of the power outlets stopped working except the one in the very rear.

Also, sometimes when I pull out it will not shift out of low gear unless I stop, turn it off and back on then start again and it shifts fine. Also there are times when it shifts you can feel it "jerk" like it doesn't know if to shift up or down when you are just maintaining a steady speed. If I pull out with a bit fast like accelerating for the freeway it is always smooth. Never feel the trans slipping at all.

The AC compressor is good and the system is fully charged.
All fuses are good.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Power loss: clean the connections and apply a barrier to the exposed connections. If you want to keep any presets you will need to supply power through the cig lighter.

Your battery should be maintenence free for that year. The corrosion you have shouldn't be there. Does the current battery have caps to add distilled water?

Fix this then we'll attack the other issues. The electrical system needs to be in good shape before checking electrical issues.

OP
OP
J

John Dycus

Reaction score
Absolutely cleaning battery terminals today. It's not a maintenance free battery. I bought this about 2 years ago. I will also put a new battery in it today.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Along with the positive cable, be sure the ground, both from battery, and frame connections are clean and tight. Has any electrical, or repair work been done recently? Last year or so? Sounds like you've got bad corrosion in cables, or a shorted cell in battery. These vehicles are totally dependent on a strong 12 volts at all times.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

John Dycus

Reaction score
Thanks for both replies. Replaced the battery with the factory recommend one. Also the positive battery terminal end was broken.... thin metal end. Replaced it also. Both battery cables and battery are good to go

OP
OP
J

John Dycus

Reaction score
Electrical seems ok now. Shifting better so far but haven't driven it to far.
Wondering about the AC & power outlets

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, did they test the old battery to see if it was bad?

OP
OP
J

John Dycus

Reaction score
I didn't have them test it. I just bought a new one. Transmission shifting seemed better for a day but now it is back to what it was doing

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my Mustang years ago... The battery cables appeared fine however the corrosion was all internal under the insulation. it would intermittently handle some voltage. As soon as any kind of amperage draw was placed on the system the whole thing would shut down. I had to cut back insulation on the cable to find it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was what I was thinking. We've been getting a lot of internal cable problems. The severe cold sure isn't helping.