Totaled - Sell or Scrap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, it finally happened, and it's all my fault.
I did an oil change, made a rookie mistake because I was tired and didn't get the old gasket all the way off the filter, which made my new one pop off while driving. Lots all my oil, and engine seized up before I could get off the interstate. Towed to a shop who said I need a whole new engine.

My fault, I get it, lesson learned.
Here's my problem: When I found out my wife was pregnant I had to sell my Mustang to get this. I couldn't get all the way out of my Mustang loan, and long story short I now owe $6,000 on a 1999 Eddie Bauer with no engine. My question to you guys: should I try to scrap it for parts, or sell it as a mechanic's special and just take what I could get. I've got a CAI with about 1,500 miles on it, as well as a brush guard and several parts replaced within the last 1,500 miles.

Any thoughts?

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Parting it out could take time- You may want to look for another engine as they are plentiful, put it in and continue driving

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that sucks really, but to be honest with economy the way it is both ways you may take a huge loss, I have a cousin who works at the local junk yard, expeditions just are not selling like they use to they bought 2 99 EBs for $700 1 with bad motor other trans and transfer case shot.. I mean I can get on CL and find Ebs with 100k to 150k selling for 1500 to 2500...

My recommendation, just cause the fact these 5.4s can take a pounding, keep it and either rebuild the engine or get a used one and get it back on the road.. Yes it sucks, you need cash but that suv will pay for itself in the long run..

OP
OP
IAExpy

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The engine only has 90,000 miles on it, but I'm fairly sure it's beyond the point of being rebuilt. Maybe not, I'm not a huge car guy yet. I have a friend who's overly confident usually, suggesting we buy an engine from a scrap yard and "just drop it in".
I know enough to know it's not a matter of "just dropping it in", but is it something I could conceivably learn how to do, since I apparently have unlimited time?

My short term plan is to buy my father's (awesome) 98 windstar for a couple bucks and drive it to work and back.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I doubt you would get much for it sans motor so I would drop a new "used" motor in. If it ran without oil for any length of time I would consider the motor trash and much too costly to rebuild. There should be no shortage of used 5.4's.

If you lived closer I have my original 5.4 sitting in the garage. It ran perfect and burned zero oil though it did have just over 100,000 miles on it. Kept it for insurance originally but my new set up has proved reliable.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sucks, but your cheapest route to transportation will be "dropping" in a bone yard engine. If you do it right, should be less than $2K. Look around and see what 2 or 3K buys you in a car.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check you're local craigslist.. I found 3 totaled all with less than 90k selling the motors for 150 to 350

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would find a low Mileage motor and swap them. You'll learn lots also if you do yourself, with your buddy's help.
Take pics along the way. for your help and us to watch.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you're not confident about swapping in a new / different motor, just hang out at the service department around lunch time or around closing. If the mechanic you talk to doesn't do 'side jobs' then he surely knows which of the mechanics does.

Since he's doing it at home in his off time, it may not be the fastest repair, but it will be done by an expert, at a fraction of the price of having a shop do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition