Tow Capacity 2014 EL and camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crixus12

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 EL Limited expedition with the heavy tow package, but I have a few questions.

1) I have the tow package, the 4 and 7 pin connector, factory installed IV hitch, the transmission cooler, 3.73, and brake control inside the cab. When I search my VIN, is still shows my GCWR as 12,300 but according to the spec sheet, since I have the heavy tow package it should be 15,000. Could the vin search on the f150 forum site Be wrong or is this something not typically updated when upgrading the tow package. See link.

2) I’m looking at getting a 25ft travel trailer that has a dead weight of 5300 and gross of 7,600. Just me and the wife. Is this too heavy if the gcwr is truly 12300? I think the 15,000 would be more than adequate.

thanks for the help!

Last edited:

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2) I’m looking at getting a 25ft travel trailer that has a burn weight of 5300 and gross of 7,600. Just me and the wife. Is this too heavy if the gcwr is truly 12300? I think the 15,000 would be more than adequate.

thanks for the help!

Mine is 4800 empty, 5 people in the vehicle and camping stuff in the trailer. It tows nicely, mine has the Ecoboost, but I believe the towing capacity is similar. Looks like with the 4wd model, if that's what you have, you can tow 8700.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crixus12

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and assistance.
I confirmed with the dealer that I do have the HD Tow Packeage on my EL.

Thinking about this one

all of the numbers checked out, but we will be packing light for the safety factor. Will be using a WDH to reduce the amount of tounge load a bit as this seems to be near the limit when loaded

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and assistance.
I confirmed with the dealer that I do have the HD Tow Packeage on my EL.

Thinking about this one

all of the numbers checked out, but we will be packing light for the safety factor. Will be using a WDH to reduce the amount of tounge load a bit as this seems to be near the limit when loaded
Very nice, you won't have any issues towing that.