Tow Hook to Shackle Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donn Brink

Reaction score
Anyone find a source ? I would like to convert my front tow hooks to a shackles.
Any suggestions ? Is the F150 or F250 front frame mount the same ?
Thanks !

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The video below showed Rough Country shackles on an F150, but I didn't see it on their website. Maybe worth a call to them to inquire since the mounting points should be similar on the Expedition frame.

Looks like the following might be an option on the F150 as well: https://amistyling.com/demon-brackets-ford-09-19-f150

I've ended up using Gator Jaw soft shackles for the front tow hooks. They take up almost no space when not being used and don't rattle around.

https://www.bubbarope.com/gator-jaws-synthetic-shackles

Last edited:

Saltwater Soul

Reaction score
I was disappointed to find out my tow "hooks" were in fact tow "rings". I get off road a bit mostly on the beach and always found it useful to be able to string a bridle easily between the hooks when a tug is needed. I have a perfect size strap to fit between them. My old 2500 Suburban had actual hooks. Now it is going to require a bit more hardware or another solution.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was disappointed to find out my tow "hooks" were in fact tow "rings". I get off road a bit mostly on the beach and always found it useful to be able to string a bridle easily between the hooks when a tug is needed. I have a perfect size strap to fit between them. My old 2500 Suburban had actual hooks. Now it is going to require a bit more hardware or another solution.

why is that dissapointing?

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:think: @joethefordguy good question... A couple shackles or a longer strap to double back to a single shackle shouldn't be too bad.

@Donn Brink
Thank you so much for posting this, I had no idea this was a thing. Really hope we can make these work. This could save me a lot of headache.:favorites13:

Saltwater Soul

Reaction score
why is that dissapointing?

Because it is crazy easy to place the loops of a short strap with loops on each end around two hooks to make a bridle. No extra hardware needed. It comes off equally easy. With rings you can't just place a loop around both easily. I feel it is much safer than using any sort of heavy hardware. Have you ever seen what happens when you really load up a tow strap and something breaks loose?

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because it is crazy easy to place the loops of a short strap with loops on each end around two hooks to make a bridle. No extra hardware needed. It comes off equally easy. With rings you can't just place a loop around both easily. I feel it is much safer than using any sort of heavy hardware. Have you ever seen what happens when you really load up a tow strap and something breaks loose?

why no, I have no experience at all, as your rhetorical question correctly implied. You're too smart for me!

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Donn Brink Are you going to give them a try? I'd just make sure whoever you order them from take returns.... Let is know if you pull the trigger.

At least you have tow "rings". I think I might have some bit they are covered up. Fingers crossed I can make something work.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
F150s and Expedition share the tow hook part number so the RCs and AMI should bolt up without issue.
Only question is if the opening is large enough and does the Expedition bumper stick out further than the F150.
But likely not something a little trimming can’t remedy.

I contacted AMI to see what they say.