Tow package for extra 4x4 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Low range is not what you usually want for snow. All that torque breaks the traction. I only use my low for moving my trailer on steep or difficult areas where I want a lot of control.

(I didn't read the other thread, this may have already been stated.)

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Low range is not what you usually want for snow. All that torque breaks the traction. I only use my low for moving my trailer on steep or difficult areas where I want a lot of control.

(I didn't read the other thread, this may have already been stated.)

Agreed but I think it also has a locking diff which is good for really deep stuff and getting unstuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenK

Reaction score
Depends what you want to tow. If towing a relatively heavy trailer then 3.73 gearing may be very desirable. Also if towing/launching a good sized boat then 4x4 low range and locking diff will also be desirable.
Everyone is different, but for me, I can't imagine buying such a large capable vehicle without low range 4x4 and towing package.

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends what you want to tow. If towing a relatively heavy trailer then 3.73 gearing may be very desirable. Also if towing/launching a good sized boat then 4x4 low range and locking diff will also be desirable.
Everyone is different, but for me, I can't imagine buying such a large capable vehicle without low range 4x4 and towing package.

I don’t tow though. At least not anything frequently or heavy and with the vast majority of Navi’s not coming with it I’m not worried about it tanking resale.

Plati

Reaction score
I've used 4Lo only in very special situations. BUT it's super nice when you need it.

2014EL. This spring I was at the bottom of a steep gravel driveway in AWD, put it in Drive (had backed in) and touched the gas and I was pretty much digging holes with the rear wheels. Only did that for one short try. Put it in 4Lo and walked right out without damaging the driveway. I think the way AWD works is it senses a difference in rotation between front and rear drive shafts and sends power to front as needed. Well, that doesn't happen when you are just getting started so the power is all in rear. 4Lo gives 50% power to both front and rear drive shafts each from the git go without that sensing stuff. I think that's the way it works.

I would not buy and Expy without that
(or a written warranty guaranteeing coverage for paint bubbling).

Get HD tow package too. That way you can loan your Expy to your nephew so he can tow the big boat he owns but doesn't own a capable tow vehicle for some odd reason. And he never invites you on his boat either. I don't sound bitter do I?

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't imagine buying such a large capable vehicle without low range 4x4 and towing package.
Especially at this price point, it’s $1500 for the tow package... I can see skipping on the lane departure stuff but if you’re getting the 4x4 you should get the 4x4 with low.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would also agree that for 1500 I would totally go with the tow package and low range. However, the reality is most people don't need low range. If snow driving is all you are worried about then I wouldn't think low range is a worry. If you are talking offroad snow driving then different story. I guess it comes down to what you really intend to with your expedition. I have a jeep wrangler with low range and front and rear locking diffs. I RARELY use low range and it is even more rare that I use the locking diffs. I can do most of what I want to do in Moab without lockers. I had a jeep commander and I NEVER even put it into 4lo. Open diffs and 4A did everything we ever wanted it to do.

Anyway, I would never discourage anyone from getting the tow package I don't think that most people need it.

I also had a hard time finding a new expedition on the lot that had the tow package.

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Especially at this price point, it’s $1500 for the tow package... I can see skipping on the lane departure stuff but if you’re getting the 4x4 you should get the 4x4 with low.

That’s the thing though. I’m not looking to skip it. I want every option. There just don’t seem to be many expy reserves with it where I am.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni