Tow Package or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

destination

Reaction score
I think you are close to my dilemma - the best deals are on stripped down, left-over 2018 200A-spec models. These have the most $$$ off MSRP, with or without the HD Tow Package. Sometimes $10-11k off.

There are no comparable deals (in terms of difference below MSRP) on 202A + HD Tow Package + any other options like the sunroof.

There are also some deals on 202A or 201A specs without a tow package.

So, in short, if you want the Tow Package and some options - be prepared to pay a lot more than just the combined option uncharge.

According to CarGurus, these remaining 2018s XLTs sell pretty slowly too. Some have been on the lot 180+ days.

I'm leaning with going with the 200A-spec with HD-Tow - we haul kids, boats and dogs everyday and I can live without the bells and whistles. That said, if I could find one with the options I want and anywhere near the same difference off MSRP, I would buy it asap.

Appreciate the many fine insights - definitely have given me something to think about.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just purchased an '18 Max and went for the tow package mostly because of the extra cooling capability for the oil and trans and for resale benefit. I currently do not tow anything but I may in the future. You will get a tad better gas milage number with the no tow option but it is only marginal. Good luck!!

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you are close to my dilemma - the best deals are on stripped down, left-over 2018 200A-spec models. These have the most $$$ off MSRP, with or without the HD Tow Package. Sometimes $10-11k off.

There are no comparable deals (in terms of difference below MSRP) on 202A + HD Tow Package + any other options like the sunroof.

There are also some deals on 202A or 201A specs without a tow package.

So, in short, if you want the Tow Package and some options - be prepared to pay a lot more than just the combined option uncharge.

According to CarGurus, these remaining 2018s XLTs sell pretty slowly too. Some have been on the lot 180+ days.

I'm leaning with going with the 200A-spec with HD-Tow - we haul kids, boats and dogs everyday and I can live without the bells and whistles. That said, if I could find one with the options I want and anywhere near the same difference off MSRP, I would buy it asap.

Appreciate the many fine insights - definitely have given me something to think about.

I had a new Ford back in 2010/1/2? that had the big sync setup. It was constantly freezing up, or would simply work when it felt ready.
I think a good portion of folks looking at these things want more nannies than barebones offered in 200 spec.

I'd have liked to have found 202 with HD tow, STD or max, I did not want black, red, or the triple coat white, so it limited me further. I definitely was going to have hd tow, regardless. So ingot silver, barebones STD chassis it was, for me, at end of July.

Old Guy

Reaction score
My cousin owned the largest transmission shop in town. He said the auxiliary tranny cooler is beneficial even if you do not intend to tow. Yesterdays cars and trucks ran at 160-180 degrees. Todays vehicles run at 200, and some higher to get better performance and MPG. The trannies run hot and additional cooling is desired. Note: when buying a used vehicle, warm it up and pull the tranny dipstick. If it smells burnt or is very dark, it may give you a very expensive lesson.
Before buying SUVs and pickups, I towed with full sized sedans. (Before 1980 they would tow ok) I added coolers and even an oil cooler. Never had engine or tranny coolers. And, adding these things do not require a rocket scientist or master mechanic.
Another word of advice: have the tranny fluid changed every 25K miles if you tow. There is a filter inside and a new one with new fluid flows smooth. A clogged filter can ruin a tranny fast.
To the OP: The Expies have a large radiator and engine cooling is very adequate. DO yourself a favor, and add tranny cooling if it does not come with the vehicle.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cousin owned the largest transmission shop in town. He said the auxiliary tranny cooler is beneficial even if you do not intend to tow. Yesterdays cars and trucks ran at 160-180 degrees. Todays vehicles run at 200, and some higher to get better performance and MPG. The trannies run hot and additional cooling is desired. Note: when buying a used vehicle, warm it up and pull the tranny dipstick. If it smells burnt or is very dark, it may give you a very expensive lesson.
Before buying SUVs and pickups, I towed with full sized sedans. (Before 1980 they would tow ok) I added coolers and even an oil cooler. Never had engine or tranny coolers. And, adding these things do not require a rocket scientist or master mechanic.
Another word of advice: have the tranny fluid changed every 25K miles if you tow. There is a filter inside and a new one with new fluid flows smooth. A clogged filter can ruin a tranny fast.
To the OP: The Expies have a large radiator and engine cooling is very adequate. DO yourself a favor, and add tranny cooling if it does not come with the vehicle.

On our Expeditions the trans fluid temp is thermostatically controlled. Meaning the fluid isn’t even released to aux trans cooler until 190 degrees is reached. A bigger cooler will not make your trans run any cooler as it’s temp controlled. It will run 190-200 degrees regardless the size of the cooler. While towing is where the extra capacity comes in handy, because the thermostat is wide open at max cooling and sometimes the smaller coolers can’t dissipate enough heat. But not towing there will be no difference in temp of the fluid as it’s regulated via thermostat. It will open and close as desired to keep that 190-200 degree temp.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Things are getting pretty technical. As the owner of four Expeditions over the years I will only say OP plans on frequent light towing, so it seems to me that a factor is how long he plans to keep the vehicle. Just something to consider. And if the boat trailer has surge brakes, why be concerned with brake controllers.

A final factor is OP's risk tolerance level. I'd have to max out the vehicle's towing capability. Others, not so much.

BenG

Reaction score
When it arrives and I hook it up I will have a play

Have you got your IBC and made it works? I received mine and installed it by myself. When it comes to the coding, I tried with 2017 codes but it failed.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not arrived yet, post from the lower 48 takes a while to traverse the Canadian border :(

It seems to be stuck on a carousel in Chicago judging by the tracking history :)

October 28, 2018, 12:41 pm
Arrived at Regional Facility
CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item has arrived at a facility at 12:41 pm on October 28, 2018 in CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER.
October 28, 2018, 3:05 am
Processed Through Regional Facility
October 28, 2018, 12:42 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
October 27, 2018
In Transit to Next Facility
October 26, 2018, 6:42 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
October 26, 2018, 10:49 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
SAINT PAUL MN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
October 26, 2018, 12:14 am
Departed USPS Origin Facility
SAINT PAUL, MN 55131
October 26, 2018, 12:10 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
SAINT PAUL, MN 55131
October 25, 2018, 6:18 pm
Departed Post Office
SAINT PAUL, MN 55110
October 25, 2018, 4:19 pm
USPS picked up item
SAINT PAUL, MN 55110

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the extra cooling and steeper 3.73 ratio worth it for me? Any drive-ability concerns or experiences with the 3.31 ratio to be concerned about?
Extra cooling is ALWAYS a good idea !

My daughter's 2012 did not have the HD Tow Package and they were planning on towing about 7,000 lbs ! They added the factory HD radiator and auxiliary transmission cooler and have had zero problems towing from MI to Disney World, FL.