towing 1998 exb0 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt smith

Reaction score
so I have a 21 ft. camper 5000# the exbo has 3.73 gears but man it pulls hard . maybe the 325,000 miles on her but runes great what do you think about 4.10 I don't pull in overdrive was thinking of finding some in the junk yard any thought???? any info would be :badidea::signs8::grd:

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont over do it. I know it sounds weird. But, 3:73's are probably optimal for pulling and going 4:10 would ruin anything as far as highway pulling.

OP
OP
M

matt smith

Reaction score
Its just such a dog at 55 60 mph with the rolling hills in wi. the rear end howls like you know what. some day I will have to replace .

----- on a side note would love to put pi heads and intake don't want to go hog wild maybe 4 valve??---
any input would be helpful thanks matt

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do not already own one, look into a programmer from Edge or SCT. That would make a big difference since it has tunes that specifically optimize towing etc.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running 3:55's towing a 3800-4000lb. camper in the mountains and my 4.6L does pretty good. I keep up with traffic and its stable at 65-70 mph. I'm also getting 10 mpg this way.

I personally think the PI swap is a good idea. Also adding a programmer is a good idea as well. Both of those would really improve the towing experience!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

matt smith

Reaction score
do not have a programmer. was wondering . could a guy get a custom tune ?how much does it coast? or wrong idea? right now just all over the place with it? want to do it all just want to keep the $$ down basically all I use it for is towing . right now I'm putting in a 3rd row seat. this did not come with one . its not as hard as one would think.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2