Towing 6000# trailer with stock air ride.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_thumper

Reaction score
Looking at pulling a conventional travel trailer 6000# about 500# tougue weight with stock air suspension on 2010 exp. Limited with HD towing package. What's your experience? Good or some upgrades needed?

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll find a number of threads here you can search to get opinions. It'll do it fine, and air suspension will help rear end sag (while the truck is running - all bets are off when the pump is shut down and air can slowly leak out). Ford, and many people here, say a weight distributing hitch is required for that weight of trailer. Some have talked about sway bar upgrades to help the rear end stay more stable.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
6000 pound trailer is easy-peasy. But 500 pounds on the ball is too light for safe towing a conventional trailer which requires 10% to 15% on the ball (600 to 900 pounds) and that tonge weight requires a WDH. Turn off the air leveling when setting the WDH. When you're done it can tweak the last quarter inch of level.

(Motor boat trailers have lower tongue weight requirements (5% - 8%) because weight is well aft on the trailer.)

-- Chuck

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had several Expy Limiteds, all with the towing package. My boat is 6k lbs and the trailer maybe 1500 lbs. When towing within 10 miles of house, no highway driving, I don't use the WDH. Anything involving highway speeds, I use the WDH. I've towed from MA to Canada and Key West with no issues.

I've never had load leveling systems.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
7,500 pound motorboat trailer with 5% on the ball is less than 400 pounds and well below the 600 pound weight carrying limit. 8% is right at that 600 pound mark. WDHs typically include some form of sway control and are prudent if in doubt.

I keep mentioning motorboat trailers because my 4,500 pound J/24 keel sailboat (boat + trailer) has the mass concentrated in the center and tows like a travel trailer with about 600 pounds on the ball.

-- Chuck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65