Towing and weight issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I discovered recently that loading the spring bars too much can have negative effects. IIRC my spring bars (Curt MV WDH) have chains with 9 links. I usually load it with two links dangling (link 7 on the hooks). The rear end drops a little, but not much... an inch or two (drops about 4-5" without WDH). I tried it on link 6 and the trailer wanted to sway more. Now I also noted my rear tires were a little low, only by about 3 psi, but even that made a difference with a 7000# trailer. When the truck and trailer are loaded I'm right at the max recommended tow weight, +/- about 100# (estimated). The hitch is relatively new, only been used about a dozen times since purchased about 4 years ago (don't get out more than 3-4 times a year.... none last year). Thought going another link would help, never thought it would make things worse!
Check how level your trailer is in relation to the ground BEFORE you redistribute weight. We had this issue too but my hitch ball was too high. Then what happens is as you redistribute weight back to the rear of the trailer and the front of the truck you "tip" the trailer towards the rear. This resulted in sway and porpoising in our case. Best place to start is to try to get your front of your trailer 1/2-1" lower than the rear of your trailer when it's attached to your truck (including the squat of the tongue weight). Then when you redistribute the weight the tongue weight will stay where you want it.

Just getting on my soapbox, it feels like watching all of these WDH setup videos that getting the proper level BEFORE starting is super-important - starting off at the wrong position makes proper weight distribution impossible.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just getting on my soapbox, it feels like watching all of these WDH setup videos that getting the proper level BEFORE starting is super-important - starting off at the wrong position makes proper weight distribution impossible.

This is correct. The first step in setting up a WDH is ensuring enough of the trailer weight is on the tongue. Tilting the trailer back puts weight on the rear axle.

OP
OP
Knut

Knut

Reaction score
Someone on here mentioned “Canamrv”, so I looked at their website and watched a lot of the videos. It seems like they have some pretty lengthy experience when it comes to WD Systems. One of the questions I was left with is this:

“Why is the shank on all the major WDH’s sticking out so far behind behind the Vehicles?”

The guy from Canamrv really emphasized that the shank should be as close as possible to the TW!

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone on here mentioned “Canamrv”, so I looked at their website and watched a lot of the videos. It seems like they have some pretty lengthy experience when it comes to WD Systems. One of the questions I was left with is this:

“Why is the shank on all the major WDH’s sticking out so far behind behind the Vehicles?”

The guy from Canamrv really emphasized that the shank should be as close as possible to the TW!
I can't see what you're referencing, but the assumption typically is that people driving pickups want clearance for the tailgate. He's right, it should be as close as possible.

OP
OP
Knut

Knut

Reaction score
I can't see what you're referencing, but the assumption typically is that people driving pickups want clearance for the tailgate. He's right, it should be as close as possible.

It was probably in one of the other links on this board. www.canamrv.ca Pretty cool to see them tow with the Tesla.!!!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't see what you're referencing, but the assumption typically is that people driving pickups want clearance for the tailgate.

Can confirm clearance desired. Broke a tail light making a tight turn in my cul-de-sac.