Towing boat without HD tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

an_architect

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Expy max platinum 4wd that does not have the HD towing - so a 6000lb tow rating.

I have a 21ft boat (2017 chaparral 21H2O sport on a coyote trailer) with a dry weight of 3100 lbs. I can’t find trailer weight online or on the trailer itself but let’s assume 1000 lbs for a steel dual axle boat trailer, plus 300 lbs for fuel/liquids, 600 lbs for stuff in the boat, and then a family of 6 in the Expy. Rounding to about 5000 lbs towed. Plus say 750lbs of people in the Expy.

I would be trading in a 2013 EL with the 8900 tow rating.

Trying to figure out if I would be making a mistake going to the lower tow rating but the tow package plus rear seat entertainment for the 4 kids in a used platinum is like finding a unicorn, especially when trying to stay close to $50k.

We’re in austin, tx so there are hills.

anyone have experience towing a boat without the HD tow package and what is it like?

Thanks.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would NOT want those highway gears in my 50K rig. Don't just buy to buy, get one that's got the tow pack. What if you get a heavier boat?

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It cracks me up that y’all act like the truck is just complete trash, unusable, and would have trouble merging on the freeway without the 3.73. Hahaha
It’s not trash, the 3.73 is just much mo better.

OP
OP
A

an_architect

Reaction score
Lowest price I can find with the tow and rear seat entertainment is 4-5k more expensive, and that particular vehicle had “repaired” hail damage. So it feels like a steep jump.

I’m only looking at models under 41k so I can buy the flood Ford esp warranty.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s not trash, the 3.73 is just much mo better.

For many situations, yes. But think of it like a tool; if he needs it, he should absolutely buy it — but if he doesn’t, he shouldn’t. If you are not at all concerned about price, and don’t care about spending an extra $1250 (or $20-$50 every month for the term of your loan), then go for it!

It just irks me that folks come on this forum looking for answers and the only people that normally respond to questions about the hd tow pack say “yes you absolutely need the hd tow pack the vehicle is total crap without it how dare you even consider not buying it.”

It’s really nice of us to spend these people’s money for them.....

(But yes, in this situation with his planned set-up, I think he should buy it.)

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah no issue with those "highway" gears on the 4th gen. for that boat.

To the comment regarding mo better....

Hey I have a nail and I need to drive it into this board. Should I use a hammer or a sledgehammer? Oh the sledgehammer cause it is mo better.....

The higher gear ratio is not needed or warranted for the OP use case.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah no issue with those "highway" gears on the 4th gen. for that boat.

To the comment regarding mo better....

Hey I have a nail and I need to drive it into this board. Should I use a hammer or a sledgehammer? Oh the sledgehammer cause it is mo better.....

The higher gear ratio is not needed or warranted for the OP use case.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
This will get into personal preference and that’s impossible to avoid with something like this topic. When comparing these 2 gearing options there is more to the equation than towing abilities. The sledge hammer isn’t the better choice for nailing just as the ‘highway gear‘ isn’t the better choice for towing. Can you drive a nail with a sledge hammer, yes... can you tow with the ‘highway gear, yes... are their better options for these jobs, yes. Sure, the highway gear is fine for his needs but he’s also going to be comparing it with the vehicle he tows with now which has twice the tow capacity and this will be a factor in the equation. To me it seems like a downgrade in the towing department, if the newer vehicle makes up for that in other areas then maybe it’s worth the move.