Towing mirror folds in every time a truck passes in opposite direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Wifey tows our enclosed side-by-side trailer when we head off on RV trips. I tow our travel trailer. We had to find some auxiliary towing mirrors for her 2014 EL so she could see behind the 14' trailer. We settled on some strap on mirrors, which at first, worked just fine. However, every time a truck passed us on the two lane her driver side mirror would SLAP closed. Scared the crap out of her the first time. This would happen every time a truck passed. Finally, she would open the window when she saw a truck coming and hold on to the mirror. Not really a good solution so we finally pulled over and removed that mirror extension. She left the blind side mirror attached because it was not a problem, and still afforded her a peek behind the trailer.

Has anyone experienced this problem? And if so, what did you do about it? What other mirror solutions are out there? Really don't want to get involved in any big alterations if possible.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the power fold mirrors that fold when you pull back on the mirror adjustment knob? They also auto fold when jostled. If so I suspect they are getting jostled by the air buffeting as the trucks pass.

OP
OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Do you have the power fold mirrors that fold when you pull back on the mirror adjustment knob?

Yes we do, but the mirror S L A P S in when the truck passes, they don't just gently fold in like they do when you engage the auto fold. We're afraid something is going to break, which is why we took the strap on mirror off that side.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They don't auto-fold electrically, they have a torque limit that they will stand up to and then it pops and they are essentially limp mirrors on a swivel. You can try it yourself, go press on it nice and hard in either direction, you'll get resistance until you pass a certain point and then POP.

Also designed to pop back open electrically. You can do force them closed and then cycle them electrically once or twice and eventually you'll hear the same POP sound and they will be back to normal.

Not that this solves your problem, but it IS by design. Happens to me in car washes all the time.

I would recommend a retrofit with F-150 tow mirrors. Write-ups and videos abound.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wifey tows our enclosed side-by-side trailer when we head off on RV trips. I tow our travel trailer. We had to find some auxiliary towing mirrors for her 2014 EL so she could see behind the 14' trailer. We settled on some strap on mirrors, which at first, worked just fine. However, every time a truck passed us on the two lane her driver side mirror would SLAP closed. Scared the crap out of her the first time. This would happen every time a truck passed. Finally, she would open the window when she saw a truck coming and hold on to the mirror. Not really a good solution so we finally pulled over and removed that mirror extension. She left the blind side mirror attached because it was not a problem, and still afforded her a peek behind the trailer.

Has anyone experienced this problem? And if so, what did you do about it? What other mirror solutions are out there? Really don't want to get involved in any big alterations if possible.

REAL tow mirrors from 1AAuto

Copy of the F150 factory option, but with the correct mounts for Expy (totally different for some reason)

$250ish no options, $300-350 with turn signals n crap

OP
OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I like the 150 tow mirror option - but now wifey says she does "just fine" with the strap-on mirror on the right side and stock mirror on the left. So, I'm not going to get into a hassle over this because it is considered her car (or truck as the case may be). And towing is not something she does all the time. Only when we head down to AZ for some "snowbirding" or places in Nevada for poker runs with our RZR. If it was just me I'd jump on this, but . . . . :argue:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What kind of speeds are you doing if a truck passes on a 2-lane with enough gusto to S L A P the mirror back?
14 footer is kind of short for those gimmicky strap on get-ups, sounds like they are more trouble then they are worth.

OP
OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
What kind of speeds are you doing if a truck passes on a 2-lane with enough gusto to S L A P the mirror back?
14 footer is kind of short for those gimmicky strap on get-ups, sounds like they are more trouble then they are worth.

We usually cruise along at 55-60 mph. It's the speed of the passing trucks that hit us hard, at least if the wind is coming from the left side. If the wind is blowing from our side, then it's not a problem.

Yeah, the mirrors are kind of a PITA and wifey doesn't like them, but, it's all we have. As I mentioned, the one on the blind side doesn't suffer from the wind thing, and she says that's all she needs. Well, she's driving so I guess I just let it go. And since we don't take two vehicles all that often I don't think I'm going to talk her into doing the F-150 mirror swap. I'd love to do it, but . . . . It's her car.

Meantime, all the money goes to keeping the real truck up to par (my beloved 97 F-350 crew 7.3 - :favorites37:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We usually cruise along at 55-60 mph. It's the speed of the passing trucks that hit us hard, at least if the wind is coming from the left side. If the wind is blowing from our side, then it's not a problem.

Yeah, the mirrors are kind of a PITA and wifey doesn't like them, but, it's all we have. As I mentioned, the one on the blind side doesn't suffer from the wind thing, and she says that's all she needs. Well, she's driving so I guess I just let it go. And since we don't take two vehicles all that often I don't think I'm going to talk her into doing the F-150 mirror swap. I'd love to do it, but . . . . It's her car.

Meantime, all the money goes to keeping the real truck up to par (my beloved 97 F-350 crew 7.3 - :favorites37:

Its not an F150 mirror, that would take serious fabrication

The F150 lookalikes are aftermarket units that copy the F150 design but have the correct bases for mounting up to an Expy