Towing mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm amazed how many tow big things with these people movers. I have a 3/4 ton for the heavy towing. I wouldn't want big ugly tow mirrors on mine.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe 'cause it'd cost more money and eat into their profit? But if that's the case, why don't they offer a Max II tow package with real towing mirrors, trailer TPMS, and the multi-camera system from F250 and make it an additional $2k. It's not like people dropping $100k+ on a rig can't afford to spend $102k...

It's bad for product segmentation. If they sold you a 7-8 passenger truck for $50 - 80k, they KNOW you got money (or credit) and figure they'd best leave something wanting so they can ALSO sell you a 5-6 passenger Superduty for another $50 - 100k

Going by the book, you'd be overloaded if you towed anything substantial with all 3 rows filled anyway

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tow mirror issue is the only thing I'm not happy about with my new 2019 Expedition.

29% of the reviewers for the CIPO's referenced by Shane gave it 1 star. Many of those said the mirrors fall off at speed.
You'll never guess what happened to one of my mirrors! It fell off at speed. And it vibrated "but not so much that you can't see the traffic behind."

I replaced it with a pair of these and have been much happier:
https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-3...t-System-3891&qid=1568843793&s=gateway&sr=8-1

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be careful with the strap on mirrors if this guy was telling the truth.

View attachment 32337

I have one of those, in addition to the link I posted above. The one I linked to was far superior. This one is barely usable and offers very poor visibility. The one I linked has the mirror mounted on a ball joint, which allows the mirror to be adjusted independently of the mount. This one is contrast, is locked in position. I haven't had any issues with the straps on either, but I've never them on for longer than a full consecutive 28 hours, which has been my longer trip so far.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll never guess what happened to one of my mirrors! It fell off at speed. And it vibrated "but not so much that you can't see the traffic behind."

I replaced it with a pair of these and have been much happier:
https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-3...t-System-3891&qid=1568843793&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Those are the mirrors I have been using. I also used them on my jeep commander for 5 years. I probably have an easy 15k miles with those mirrors attached. They work good enough. A little vibration but not enough to prevent seeing fine. They haven't fallen off, even bombing dirt roads in Moab. I do wish there was a nice factory slide out/fold out type mirror but these are fine for the half dozen times a year I pull the rv.