Towing mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Raider

Reaction score
This trailer weighs around 3000 lbs with some gear and the fresh water tank full. The truck is a 2019 FX4 with HD. I'll get around 13 without the kayak and 11.5 with it on the roof. On the hwy I'll drive 70-75

hip2.jpg

Goclmbmnt

Reaction score
First outing last week with our new TT and a 2020 Expdy Max with HD tow. TT is about 6,500-7,000 I figure. From Colorado to Arizona about 800 miles. We were at 6-7 if we cruised 75, but that jumped to 8-9 at about 60-65, which was needed at times due to wind. That was with premium fuel the whole way.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
Towing a 3ton boat on a dual axle trailer behind our 2008 limited. Depending on traffic - ranges from about 11mpg in heavy urban to about 14mpg at speed in light interstate.

Elvisinflorida

Reaction score
Quite a few years ago I had a Ford Torino station wagon with with the venerable Ford 302 that would get about 18 MPG Highway. Over about two thousand miles of towing a heavy pop up camper I got 16 to 17 MPG. That small frontal area of the pop-up camper has only a small effect on overall MPG.

Koz19MaxPlat

Reaction score
Semi-related question- has anyone noticed a sharp drop in MPG when using a Thule or Sears-type roof box? I'm speaking of the larger, more bubulous unit as opposed to the narrow on you would use for skis.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Semi-related question- has anyone noticed a sharp drop in MPG when using a Thule or Sears-type roof box? I'm speaking of the larger, more bubulous unit as opposed to the narrow on you would use for skis.
My 30 inch wide ski box is typically 1-2ish mpg hit on my cars at 70+mph over the yrs. My SUVs its been hard to see a difference less aero vehicle less likely to see impact the really poorly designed fat short ones likely could show 3-4mpg hit at speed. A big reason not to get the wide short box you can’t fit anything else. My 30 inch wide box I can fit two bikes beside it on 56 inch bars. On 60 inch bars my 18ft canoe will fit next to it. Far more flexibility in roof use. Also even the narrow boxes are easily over loaded, the fat short boxes are typically way overloaded. A crash investigator rents office space next to my neighbors shop. Her number 1 pet peeve are the huge roof boxes!! Said that in recent years many of the high speed really bad roll over accidents she gets called in on had the jumbo roof box in play, and severely over loaded..

Koz19MaxPlat

Reaction score
My 30 inch wide ski box is typically 1-2ish mpg hit on my cars at 70+mph over the yrs. My SUVs its been hard to see a difference less aero vehicle less likely to see impact the really poorly designed fat short ones likely could show 3-4mpg hit at speed. A big reason not to get the wide short box you can’t fit anything else. My 30 inch wide box I can fit two bikes beside it on 56 inch bars. On 60 inch bars my 18ft canoe will fit next to it. Far more flexibility in roof use. Also even the narrow boxes are easily over loaded, the fat short boxes are typically way overloaded. A crash investigator rents office space next to my neighbors shop. Her number 1 pet peeve are the huge roof boxes!! Said that in recent years many of the high speed really bad roll over accidents she gets called in on had the jumbo box
Thanks for the reply Cali. I didn't notice much of a drop on mpg when driving my suburban with the same box, but haven't done so here yet. For us- it's a carrier of duffel bags or beach chairs, depending on destination. Definitely a space saver but I agree, easy to overload.

Evan D Dailey

Reaction score
2020 Max, HD tow option.
I have a 3,000 lb trailer, enclosed. 2000 mile trip last month I got 9.5. I agree about the windage as the primary issue. Speed is also important; under 65 and mileage will improve substantially.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the Expedition is more sensitive to draggy aero stuff than my Sequoia is/was but then again the Sequoia never broke 16mpg unless you had a big tailwind and long down hill run.
I haven’t noticed a box impact on the Expedition but I typically only have it on during trips with my 4x6 trailer so hard to say.

OP
OP
L

lam396

Reaction score
I did a 2k mile round trip vacation with roof box and averaged around 18mpg, did another trip that was closer to 3k miles with no box and averaged a little over 20. I also had a hitch rack full of bikes on the trip with the box and the hitch rack with full coolers with no box.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk