Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seansolo

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 1999 5.4 4x4 Eddie Bauer with Tow package and I'm planning a long distance move. I will be towing a 3300 lb Jeep Cherokee. I don't want to have to use the tow dolly system and was looking at UHaul's Car Carrier system. The site says the carrier is 2100 lbs and Jeep weighs 3300 lbs, for a combined 5400 lbs. What do you guys think?? Also, how do you tell if the factory Tow Package and Hitch is a load leveling set up?? Any input would be much apprectiated. Thanks

joecrotch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be easy to tell if there is a load leveler on the hitch. it is 2 Large bars that atach with chains to the trailer and chains hang off bottom of truck. I have never seen a load leveler come standard on a vehicle its usually something that is bought after market.

As for your towing, I used the full size car carrier with a BMW 3 series on it. I towed that all the way from Phoenix to Santa Fe NM. No problems at all.

OP
OP
S

seansolo

Reaction score
Oh ok, very cool, thanks for the information. It looks like a pretty heavy duty hitch on the rig, and I know it is what came stock. I am thinking that I should be able to tow quite a bit with it and 5400 lbs doesn't sound like that heavy compared to some trailers I've seen being towed by Expeditions. Thanks again

98EBEXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
should do it I've towed heavier just take it slow

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine and you don't have to worry about stopping cause u-haul trailers have self actuating brakes. The harder you stomp on the brake, the harder they apply.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^ they sure do... I did alot of hauling with a Uhaul trailer few years back by and in most cases, the trailer would slow the truck down ha! You can actually feel the trailer pulling on the truck

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
their right, 5400lbs is a little over half of the manufacture recommended weight... these transmissions are used in not only the larger diesel Excursions but also in some of Ford's larger Fleet type vehicles...

It is extremely strong, and durable. It can be made a TON better with a $40 shift kit

You shouldn't struggle to get that jeep towed.

expect to get around 9-12 Mpg avg.

Last edited:

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
their right, 5400lbs is a little over half of the manufacture recommended weight... these transmissions are used in not only the larger diesel Excursions but also in some of Ford's larger Fleet type vehicles...

It is extremely strong, and durable. It can be made a TON better with a $40 shift kit

You shouldn't struggle to get that jeep towed.

expect to get around 9-12 Mpg avg.

Link to that shift kit?

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/Shift_Kits.htm

scroll down to number 20. they list it for $45

I just had a transmission redone (there is an ongoing thread in the transmission section) and the trans guy added a "mild" shift kit to the trans. it firms up 1-2 and makes it very short and almost unnoticable under light accel.
the rest of the shifts are noticeably quicker without making it tough to drive

if you look in the thread I posted a picture of the receipt, I don't say bill because I didn't pay anything, it has a warranty.