Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score
Hey y'all.

Looking to be getting a bumper pull camper here in the near future and wanted to get advice as to what The Dutchman's towing capability would be? I'm hoping for about a 22ft trailer.

It's a '00 Eddie Bauer, 5.4L V8.

Robert Wagner

Reaction score
My 2000 XLT 4.6L 2wd's towing "weak link" is the rear bumper (I might be overly optimistic here as asking a 21 year old transmission to tow may be the real weak link!). It has its towing "capabilities" stamped onto the bumper itself. And the numbers thereon (400 lbs tongue, 4000 lbs towing) and are more limiting what the owner's manual asserts for the vehicle.

When the vehicle was new, the vehicles towing capacity was a function of rear axle gear ratio, which transmission you have, the engine's displacement, the overall weight of the vehicle (what it actually weighs when it is being asked to do the tow), the type of suspension and the weight of the towed trailer.

Good luck!

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed a 22 with zero issues, until I wanted to be cool and add big tires. Just make sure you have a WD hitch and trailer brakes and your good.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your on the frame, not the bumper. I think this thing will do like 7500lbs or something around there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1