Towing : Which features/packages should I select when custom ordering expedition (build to order)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wannabeMtb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't affect "Towing capacity" per say. The towing capacities I listed above. It affects payload. Tongue weigh is part of payload. So say your Payload is 1500lbs, and you have a 6K Trailer with 600lbs of tongue weight, you can now only carry 900lbs in the SUV, and that includes the driver and passengers. On the sticker inside the door for the driver you will find that vehicles payload rating. Check it out when you test drive.

Thank you ! In this case, I can't test drive since I custom ordered a 2022 model. It will arrive only in April or May of next year. I can still change the order for the next 1 -2 weeks. After that it will be locked in.

OP
OP
W

wannabeMtb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll be in good shape with 4x4 and the HD tow package. Keep in mind the higher the trim, the lower your payload capacity. I have a 2018 Limited Max w/HD tow and the panoramic sunroof. My payload is 1644lbs. I tow an 8,000lb trailer and I'm just under the payload limit on family trips.

Thank you ! Good to know. Mine is exactly the same as yours - MAX w/HDTow & panoramic. And my trailer weight will likely be much lower than 6000

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought a '21 FX4 with the max tow 2 weeks ago. The stock Michelin P rated tires ought to handle towing a 7K gross weight travel trailer on a short test trip. I plan to air the tires to almost the max psi when towing.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The P-metric tires are fine for towing what the Expedition is capable of towing and raising the tire pressure does not increase the towing or cargo capacity which is listed on the label in the drivers door jam as is the cold tire pressure to handle the maximum capacity. Increased tire pressure will take a little squirm out of the tires but the axle capacity is not changed.

If you want the Expedition to ride like a truck fit LT tires and run 80psi. But neither the cargo nor towing capacity increase.

-- Chuck

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 18 max 4x4 with the tow package and haul a 7500 lb boat with it on some pretty long hauls (1000 miles +). From the factory it really isn't set up very well for hauling in my experience. I ended up adding the sumo springs, upgraded rear sway bar, and XL rated tires to the vehicle and it now tows pretty well. Prior to that it was a little squirrelly on the interstates.

Rick Gilson

Reaction score
I have 2019 expedition platinum w/ HD tow and very easily to my 8300# boat and trailer. What you should be most concerned about now is having excellent trailer brakes.
Surge brakes suck compared to electric/ electric over hydraulic. Been driving w/ surge brakes for more than 40 yrs and just converted mine to electric over hydraulic this past year. Huge difference. Much safer. Gotta put that brake controllers good use!
Cost less than $1000 to do. Did it myself and, believe you me, if I can do it, anyone can. Will give you something to think about while you’re waiting for your new truck (assuming your trailer(s) are not optimally braked).
Lease on my expedition is up soon. Going to switch to Dodge Durango R/T plus TOW and Go. Tows 8700 # with ease. Actually drives great and sounds even better. Just throwing it out there. Good luck and enjoy.

Attachments

• F25592A3-2007-4BAC-8BAA-115E455EBC39.jpeg
    F25592A3-2007-4BAC-8BAA-115E455EBC39.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 11
  • E20BE028-919B-409A-BAF3-887BC698AC6D.jpeg
    E20BE028-919B-409A-BAF3-887BC698AC6D.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 11

Denveram

Reaction score
In July I had ordered a 2021 XLT Max with the FX4 package. I went with this over the suburban because of the higher tow rating. I just don't like the sunroof in general. Nobody can ever agree on whether to keep it open or closed and it never gets used as often as I think it will, so I opted for a trim level without it. Did you go with the captain's chairs or the bench seat in the second row? I would also order the cargo package for about 300 bucks. It gives you roof rails and better storage trees in the floor in the back. It's actually a good value as getting the roof bars alone will run you more than that. I'm towing a 30 ft travel trailer rated around 7,500 lb. With weight distribution and sway control it does really well. The thing I don't like is using the dial to get to tow haul mode. I wish it just had a button. Only thing I wish I had is LED lights but those only come on a trim level w sunroof. FX4 also only has 1 wheel option. Would have preferred 20" wheel, but to be honest, an 18" wheel w lots of rubber is much better as my wife curbs it.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I've personally never found any use for "roof bars" on any of my SUVs so wouldn't pay extra for them. Just looked out my office window and there's bars on my roof rack. Still wondering about their utility.

I've specifically avoided "Captains chairs" in the second row since they decrease the passenger space and my dogs will fall thru the big gap. My daughter's SUV has them though as it makes it much easier to get to the 3d seat. She frequently sits back there and can attend to either child easily. They're both in rear facing child seats. Pretty sure I have a 3d seat back there in mine but haven't seen it in years. :)

-- Chuck

Rossue

Reaction score
You're all good. You're perfect if you did not order the panoramic sunroof.
Contrary to conventional wisdom, for the 4th Gen Expedition, you want the 4x4 NOT the 4x2. While the 4x4 is a little heavier than the 4x2, the front axle in the 4x4 has an increase in axle weight rating greater than the increase in weight. So the payload of the 4x4 is greater than the payload of the 4x2. And unless you're towing a hay wagon, you're going to run out of receiver weight rating, rear axle weight rating and payload long before you run out of trailer weight rating.
Disagree with the towing ability with a 4X2. OP has has a 6K or less trailer. My 2019 XLT 4X2 has 1633 payload. I tow a 4200# wet trailer with 500 # tongue weight and have plenty of payload leftover. Even with a 6K trailer and a max 750# tongue weight would still have plenty. I live in Central Coast CA and travel in Western U.S. and not in winter. Don't need or want a 4x4. Search "Do I need 4WD" : if you really don't need it don't buy it.