Towing with 13-14 Limited or King Ranch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonSnow

Reaction score
I’ve decided I’m going to spend a bit more and try to find a nice 2013 or 2014 Expedition Limited or King Ranch. I want to be able to tow a travel trailer, but don’t yet own a trailer either, so I want to make sure I get the most towing capacity so that I am not too limited when picking the trailer.

If I’m not mistaken, all 13 & 14 Limited & King Ranch come equipped with the heavy duty tow package as standard equipment. Yet I can’t seem to easily determine the max towing capacity. I’m using a VIN decoder from here to look at options:

https://www.f150forum.com/vindecoder.php?vin=

Most say this for towing:

DEAD WEIGHT HITCH - MAX TRAILER
6000 lbs 6000.0 min 6000.0 max

DEAD WEIGHT HITCH - MAX TONGUE
600 lbs 600.0 min 600.0 max

But one King Ranch says this:

DEAD WEIGHT HITCH - MAX TRAILER
6000 lbs 6000.0 min 9000.0 max

DEAD WEIGHT HITCH - MAX TONGUE
600 lbs 600.0 min 900.0 max

Do these seem accurate? Is the King Ranch capable of 9,000lbs and 900 tongue while the Limited is “limited” to 6,000 and 600? Or will I find some Limiteds capable of higher weights as well?

Thanks!!

OP
OP
J

JonSnow

Reaction score
BTW I realize I wouldn’t be able to tow the entire 9000 or 6000lbs depending on the weight of passengers, etc... but again I want to make sure I’m getting whichever model is equipped to handle the most.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought the difference was between the short wheel base and long wheel base Expeditions.

Longer models weigh more to start with and the tow capacity (as in my owner's manual) is less for it than for the shorter model.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if all limited trims have the tow package. Mine does, and the easiest way to tell is is the trailer break controller buttons in the console, and the 7 pin wiring harness. It also states in the manual that it includes the aux. trans cooler and radiator upgrade.

I'm surprised you haven't received more responses, but you probably will. There are definitely some towing experts on here that know way more than I do.

OP
OP
J

JonSnow

Reaction score
I don't know if all limited trims have the tow package. Mine does, and the easiest way to tell is is the trailer break controller buttons in the console, and the 7 pin wiring harness. It also states in the manual that it includes the aux. trans cooler and radiator upgrade.

I'm surprised you haven't received more responses, but you probably will. There are definitely some towing experts on here that know way more than I do.

Im hoping there is an easy way to identify this while browsing online. If trailer break controls means HD towing, that would be perfect.

Even with HD towing, are their other options which are required to pull the fully allowable trailer weight? I assume a weight distributing hitch would also be required (and needs to be added unless the previous owner already added it)... but other than a new hitch, would all other gear be included (transmission cooler, etc)?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All you need is HD tow. They all have the dash mounted trailer controller. Watch out for aftermarket installations. To hit the 9k limit, use of a WDH is required. It will not come as part of the truck. It just plugs into the normal receiver.

CharlesP

Reaction score
Not sure about the '13 or '14, but we have a 2012 Limited and I can tell you that we successfully towed a Winnebago 2201DS TT from central Florida to Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming and back in a 3+ week trip. The truck has the HD tow package, and we bought a weight distribution hitch when we purchased the TT.

This setup took the Appalachia's like a champ, but did struggle a bit going up the 10% grade of Teton pass from Idaho to Wyoming. I was honestly more worried about going down than up, but we just stopped at the pull overs to let things cool down, etc....We were probably loaded very close to max on both the truck and TT.