Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cindy daum

Reaction score
Thank you all so much. I have another question I hope you can help me out with. The Expy has Pathfinder 275/55r/20 117T tires on it with a max load of 2833 lbs, and a max pressure of 50 psi. Should we get new tires, and if so, what would be recommended.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I upgraded from Hankook Dynapro load "C" to Cooper AT3 XLT load "E." The "E" tire maxes out at 80 psi. It made for improved towing and improved all-around handling. I was concerned about road noise due to the tread, but it hasn't been an issue. The tires are also have the severe snow rating and worked very well on light snow in New Mexico (my Expedition is a 4x2). An additional side benefit is increased puncture resistance, so one less thing to worry about when towing.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the tire, but from what I just read they are a tire made my Kumho and sold by Discount Tire perhaps? How much tread is on the tire? If the tires have a lot of meat on them I see no reason not to use them. If they are getting towards end of life, then I would perhaps replace with something better next round.

Knut

Reaction score
Look at my profile picture.
2019 Exp XLT MAX
1798 Payload
2 Adults/ 3kids /2 dogs.
TT: 2950 Keystone Passport = 6500lbs loaded
TW: 800
All numbers within limits, and it tows just fine.
BlueOx SwayPro WDH.

Also, I just changed tires and wheels. went with 20" wheels and
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S 275/55-R20 XL (Extra Load). Big difference in stability from
the Michelin Primacy XC 275/65-R18 SL (standard load) which came with the vehicle.

Contemplating investing in ProRide
https://store.propridehitch.com/pro...MIofuzosSI8QIVpgaICR2HWwrrEAYYASABEgICMPD_BwE

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cindy daum

Reaction score
Did the penny test on the tread. Depth goes to Lincoln's neck. Thank you for the tire suggestions. I am making a list of the suggestions for when I buy new tires. Don't want any surprises on the road that could have been avoided.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I highly recommend the michelin defender ltx 275/55r20 tires. I'm on my second set. They have been great in all around conditions and tow very well. I run at factory specs 35 psi, and air up to their 44 max psi when towing. Do some searches on this forum and you will see a lot of feedback on these tires.

Brons2

Reaction score
Why do most people recommend the 3/4 tons? Longer wheelbase, more weight, less likely to have the tail wagging the dog, so to say. A 3/4 will be more forgiving for a bad setup or a newbie behind the wheel. Higher payload is another factor, makes it easier to put more people and stuff in the cab or the bed. On a F250 crew cab with say a 6.2 and 2500 lbs of payload you'd have no problem putting 6 people in the cab and 3 loaded coolers in the bed while towing 10,000 lbs. Well ok as long as all 6 didn't weigh 300 lbs.

That said lots of people tow with half tons and the SUVs based on half tons like ours and get it done safely. Take the time to go to the CAT scales to get your setup dialed in with your WDH. The weight range you mention is a good one, i.e., not pushing the tow rating to the limit, and probably not even pushing the payload to near the limit with only two adults.

Speaking to my own situation, the problem with my Navigator for towing is that it only has a payload of 1400 lbs. It has the big tow package with 9000 lb rating, but with the payload limitations it would be a balancing act to get anything close to that, unless there was only 1 person in the vehicle. A tongue weight of 650 leaves you only 750 lbs capacity for people and cargo in the vehicle, not so ideal. I've thought about renting a travel trailer for the weekend but taking anyone along other than my wife and child would be an issue with the payload.

Realistically the towing capability with 5 people in the car is probably about half of what Ford advertises on my rig at 9K lbs, but anyway. My family of 3 weighs about 550 so the absolute max limit would be an 850 tongue weight and even then everything that is not a fully clothed human would have to go in the trailer...not ideal, again.

Having 1798 payload as Knut mentions on reply #14 his would be a lot better, I would probably be able to also take my parents in the car with the extra 400 lbs. They live only a few miles away and it's a shame we can't take them along with any trailer than could actually accommodate them.

Brons2

Reaction score
Other thing is I don't think I would want to tow near limits with the 5.4, it's pretty gutless towing a small trailer with bricks stacked only 3 rows high from my experience. This was with the smallest trailer that Home Depot rents, with a capacity on the side of 1750 lbs, and bricks stacked across the bottom three rows high and all the way across.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do most people recommend the 3/4 tons? Longer wheelbase, more weight, less likely to have the tail wagging the dog, so to say. A 3/4 will be more forgiving for a bad setup or a newbie behind the wheel. Higher payload is another factor, makes it easier to put more people and stuff in the cab or the bed. On a F250 crew cab with say a 6.2 and 2500 lbs of payload you'd have no problem putting 6 people in the cab and 3 loaded coolers in the bed while towing 10,000 lbs. Well ok as long as all 6 didn't weigh 300 lbs.

That said lots of people tow with half tons and the SUVs based on half tons like ours and get it done safely. Take the time to go to the CAT scales to get your setup dialed in with your WDH. The weight range you mention is a good one, i.e., not pushing the tow rating to the limit, and probably not even pushing the payload to near the limit with only two adults.

Speaking to my own situation, the problem with my Navigator for towing is that it only has a payload of 1400 lbs. It has the big tow package with 9000 lb rating, but with the payload limitations it would be a balancing act to get anything close to that, unless there was only 1 person in the vehicle. A tongue weight of 650 leaves you only 750 lbs capacity for people and cargo in the vehicle, not so ideal. I've thought about renting a travel trailer for the weekend but taking anyone along other than my wife and child would be an issue with the payload.

Realistically the towing capability with 5 people in the car is probably about half of what Ford advertises on my rig at 9K lbs, but anyway. My family of 3 weighs about 550 so the absolute max limit would be an 850 tongue weight and even then everything that is not a fully clothed human would have to go in the trailer...not ideal, again.

Having 1798 payload as Knut mentions on reply #14 his would be a lot better, I would probably be able to also take my parents in the car with the extra 400 lbs. They live only a few miles away and it's a shame we can't take them along with any trailer than could actually accommodate them.

Brons2, I'm in the same boat as you. My payload on my Expy is 1406. We tow a 30' trailer, 7400lbs, tongue weight around 750-800 depending on how I pack. It's the wife and I and a couple of dogs, one weighs 120lbs. It's been a long process of adjustments to WDH and now just recently utilizing the local CAT scale to really dial in my set up. Right now I've got it ideal for my usual trips. Ended up removing both of my 30lb propane tanks, now just one 20lb tank, moved cargo around. Added Sumo spacers, new front n/rear Hellwig sway bars, and recently, based on CAT findings, added another washer to the WDH. Tested 4 times now at the scales during the tweaking. Current numbers for a trip are at payload capacity, and under rear axle wight capacity and it's towing great.

We have done a trip with others where we just had them drive separately. It worked out just fine. Yeah it's not great and a 3/4 ton would definitely be better, but it's overkill for us. I was very close to pulling the trigger on an F250/F350 but then the prices became insane due to the scarcity of supply and I choose to instead beef up the Expy and ride it out for now. I listed some of the things I added as well as adding new tires and it's pulling great. My only fear is the age of my Expy, 2010 model with 150k miles. Pulling flat here in FL I don't worry so much, but during my annual NC mtn trips in Summer and Fall I start to get really stressed going up the plateau that the motor or tranny is going to blow something out the side. So far, it hasn't but it seriously stresses me. My debate was move to F250 or move to new Gen Expy with new "everything" and warranty. New Expy would fit much better since vehicle would be daily driver, F250 is just overkill for towing 10 times a year.

This summer I'll head to NC with 3 teenage nephews, no wife no dog. I figure we'll be over payload about 200-250lbs. I'm ok with this, I'm fairly confident it'll work out fine. Especially knowing that for the last 3 years I've been over payload all the time prior to educating my self and hitting CAT scales. I did speak to an automotive engineer and he felt that the stated payload numbers are conservative and that going over 200lbs is nothing really. Going over 1000lb, now were talking issues. He did say the tires are the ones to pay attention to and their payload capacities shouldn't be exceeded. Because of this, some choose to go up to beefier tires, but I've done just fine with the Michelin LTX Defenders.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I upgraded from Hankook Dynapro load "C" to Cooper AT3 XLT load "E." The "E" tire maxes out at 80 psi. It made for improved towing and improved all-around handling. I was concerned about road noise due to the tread, but it hasn't been an issue. The tires are also have the severe snow rating and worked very well on light snow in New Mexico (my Expedition is a 4x2). An additional side benefit is increased puncture resistance, so one less thing to worry about when towing.

I have these same tires and like them a lot. Echo everything Jason said.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze