Trailing arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I received the new ones and am in process of removing old. How did you guys get your bolts out? I have tried beating them, air chisel, impact and turning them, all they do is bounce in the rubber. I was almost thinking about a cutting torch and cut the whole arm and bolt out..... hate to do that around gas though.

megawatt00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you use a cutting disc on a grinder? I used one to cut my rotors off and an exhaust manifold..

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I got out my portable band saw after the 1st one and had the second one out in no time. If I remember correctly I just cut though the outside of the bolt and nut and they popped right out.

OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you use a cutting disc on a grinder? I used one to cut my rotors off and an exhaust manifold..
I could yea....

I got out my portable band saw after the 1st one and had the second one out in no time. If I remember correctly I just cut though the outside of the bolt and nut and they popped right out.
I got the nuts off with no problem..... I think I will wedge a bit between arm and mount and stick my sawzall blade in and cut boths sides of the bolt off. I know the front one will move a little. I don't imagine they will cut easy but at least its a plan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody else care to share how they got their bolts out after taking the nuts off?

niowa98eb

Reaction score
I could yea....

I got the nuts off with no problem..... I think I will wedge a bit between arm and mount and stick my sawzall blade in and cut boths sides of the bolt off. I know the front one will move a little. I don't imagine they will cut easy but at least its a plan.

I used a sawsalll and about 15 blades to change mine. 10.9 metric bolts are no joke

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
jrjr, atleast on my truck when I did my lift, all the bolts slid out except for one (drivers side, forward, upper bolt). If they are stuck inside the joint after getting the nut off, I would take a piece of wood or brass stock and put that on the outside part of the bolt and then using a hammer, beat the bolt till it is flush with the frame. From there, you can take a punch and push it the rest of the way.

As for the one bolt that you can't remove due to the gas tank being in the way, you have 2 options. 1) you can drop the gas tank, ROYAL PITA!!!!!! or, 2) like was mentioned, use an angle grinder and cut the bolt head off and then pull the remaining part of the bolt out of the joint using a pair of vice grips or the like. Sawzall works, but takes a lot of time. Angle grinder is better, just don't "slip" and have the grinder get into the side of the gas tank.

megawatt00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree Thermo I the angle grinder with a cutting disc and not a grinding disc is your best bet. I am the facilities maintenance supervisor for a large metal fab shop and we only have 1 sawzall for over 80 workers, on the other hand there are probably over 125 grinders in the shop. Try to buy a quality cutting disc too the HF ones wear down to quickly.

OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, after reading about the 15 sawzall blades I opted for the cutting torch. Took a couple hours but its all done. Thanks for the responses though. Made a helluva mess!! There were just pieces left over, nothing worthy of photographing. They were worse than I thought.... good thing its done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh and as an FYI for anyone reading this and about to do this job......

Do one side at a time. Once the old one is off, put a bolt through one end of the new one in place where it goes. You will notice that the other end looks short. On mine it was due to the drive shaft weight pivoting the axle down and pulling the trailing arm mount rearward.

To remedy this, take your jack and jack up the front of the axle just behind the universal. That pivots the axle back up and the bolt slips right in. Be gentle though....