Tranny and rattling sound advice...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legendary70

Reaction score
Hello all.

OK my expy has 212000 miles on it. Everything is running great (knock on wood).

I am not sure how long ago....if at all....the tranny filter and oil was changed.

Should I do a filter and oil change? I was told DO NOT do a flush because it might damage tranny?

If so, what type of filter and oil do yall recommend?

I feel some sort of a small rattle in the front when i am turning left and sometimes right...it is soft not hard at all. what could it be?

Finally should i continue to use high mileage oil or full synthetic?

thx

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anyone thx

Climb under and check the fluid condition through the dipstick plug. If it is completely burnt up and trashed then you may not want to touch it. If it still has some resemblance of trans fluid go ahead and do fluid and filter. I used an O'reilly's filter and motorcraft fluid. Motorcraft filter would probably be preferred though or another reputable brand. Pan gasket should be reusable. How many miles have you put on the vehicle? I'm not sure about your front end noises.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use full synthetic engine oils, I'm guessing you're using a synthetic blend high mileage. If it's working for you without issues then you can stick with it or switch either one will be good

RobE

Reaction score
I assume you are referring to your 2013 Expedition. It takes Motorcraft Mercon LV and a Motorcraft FT-188 Transmission Filter. I just drained/filled and replaced the filter on my 2011 King Ranch (130k mi) and my 2012 Limited (205k mi). It wasn't too hard and I didn't even jack the vehicle up. Find Ford Tech Makuloco and watch his video on drain/fill and changing the filter. Both vehicles drained 6qts and took 6qts. Amazon has the Mercon LV in 5qt containers and the filter for cheaper than I could find at my local parts store.

Last edited:

Tim Deater

Reaction score
I am in the process of re-building the front 4x4 vacuum lockers on my 2011. One was making a clicking/rattling noise and one would not unlock. Might be a place to check for the noise. I have just about replaced the entire system on mine at this point. Found the actuating solenoid was not working up by on the firewall. Found one of the locking devices (can't remember what the were called) was totally trashed, surprisingly that was the quiet one. Replaced both of those, but now one of them seems to randomly start clicking again while I am going down the road. Waiting for the vacuum tubes to come in to replace all of them. I can see where the tube that crosses from one side to the other had been caught at some point and pulled the plastic tube out of some of it's clips, so I suspect a crack in there somewhere.