Trans re-learn time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my 10 speed has ALWAYS shifted perfectly In my opinion. My daily driving usage is slower backroads and short stop start trips.

Last month we took my Expedition on a 3,000 mile cross country trip and it shifted perfectly as usual on the entire trip.

Lately since I'm back home daily driving it, it seems like its all F'd up on its shift strategies. Its like that long distance trip made it learn a new shift strategy that sucks at home. Is this even a thing, or am I overthinking this?

It really does some extremely "dumb" shifts that it never did before. Hopefully it soon relearns how to drive slow and on my back roads and short trips. All my backroad trips are under light throttle and this long highway trip I was "ON it hard" as it was loaded down with 5 people and 2 weeks worth of luggage! Its slamming upshifts, overshifting on the upshifts and then dropping back down a gear. Reverse is almost breaking the tires loose in the garage after start-up! lol

On a side note, the rear locker is almost fried. It won't release and its burning tires on tight turns and chattering something fierce. Maybe thats even dragging for all I know..... its going in eventually for that.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't sound great. I have found the tranny to be pretty unpredictable at best. Don't get me wrong, I love the 10spd and it's a critical part of making this huge thing moderately efficient, but I definitely notice abnormal shifts, like you, after a long road trip. Lately mine has been downshifting a bit more aggressively than I'm used to and even somewhat like. Say coming to a stop light and decelerating, around 15-20mph, i've been feeling the downshift jolt. Really didn't do this before. Sorry to hear of the troubles, especially with the rear locker, that's more concerning for sure.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my 10 speed has ALWAYS shifted perfectly In my opinion. My daily driving usage is slower backroads and short stop start trips.

Last month we took my Expedition on a 3,000 mile cross country trip and it shifted perfectly as usual on the entire trip.

Lately since I'm back home daily driving it, it seems like its all F'd up on its shift strategies. Its like that long distance trip made it learn a new shift strategy that sucks at home. Is this even a thing, or am I overthinking this?

It really does some extremely "dumb" shifts that it never did before. Hopefully it soon relearns how to drive slow and on my back roads and short trips. All my backroad trips are under light throttle and this long highway trip I was "ON it hard" as it was loaded down with 5 people and 2 weeks worth of luggage! Its slamming upshifts, overshifting on the upshifts and then dropping back down a gear. Reverse is almost breaking the tires loose in the garage after start-up! lol

On a side note, the rear locker is almost fried. It won't release and its burning tires on tight turns and chattering something fierce. Maybe thats even dragging for all I know..... its going in eventually for that.

Not sure about transmission issues. But for the rear diff. You shouldn’t wait, either take it to the dealer ASAP, or add a bottle of friction modifier Genuine Ford Fluid XL-3 Friction Modifier Additive - 4 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NU5LP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_W9TBSV3JWDWFEQDW9RM7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You can even do a fluid change yourself. Very easy process and good to do to get the break in metal shavings out.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about transmission issues. But for the rear diff. You shouldn’t wait, either take it to the dealer ASAP, or add a bottle of friction modifier Genuine Ford Fluid XL-3 Friction Modifier Additive - 4 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NU5LP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_W9TBSV3JWDWFEQDW9RM7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You can even do a fluid change yourself. Very easy process and good to do to get the break in metal shavings out.

Its an electronic locker, so theres more to it than just a fluid swap. It'll drag the inside tire on blacktop if it jams up just wrong....lol

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is actually very similar to old LSD but instead of the spring, there is a tiny hydraulic actuator some rods, and a small pump to squeeze the clutch pack when needed.

The drain/refill procedure is actually very straight forward. Just open the drain plug, drain fluid, close drain plug, open fill plug, fill with 2.3L 75w-85+a bottle of XL-3, close fill plug. Torque is 18 ft-lb.

I would not drive it that way to be honest.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or, @Deadman, just let it lock up and get a whole new rear end. My thought is, you have what, 25-30k miles right now? ELSDs are not new, my last two vehicles spanning 16 model years had ELSDs and other than normal maintenance every 36k miles, never had issues with them and both of those were pretty heavily used offroad, towing far more than I should have, and even submerging up to the doors in a river. Might just be crappy components.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll take it in someday next week if I get time. Its obviously not happy! Thanks guys.

Eswfarms

Reaction score
I had mine redone and it lasted for all of two days before doing it again