Transfer case electric shift motor stuck in 4LO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njackson481

Reaction score
My '98 EB 5.4 with 2wd, Awd, 4hi, 4lo is stuck in 4Lo. I hear the swith in the dash click, but the indicator light doeas not change and the motor on the transfer case does not engage. I have read some previous posts on this subject and a forum member who is a Ford Mechanic said that it is most likely the Electric shift motor on the transfer case. He said to just remove it and clean the terminals / switches etc, and then replace it and this should fix the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? and if so how did you fix it? I have driven the car in all gears in all direction and still no change....:mad:

OP
OP
N

njackson481

Reaction score
Yes, I've tried putting it in neutral. When I switch the selector on the dash to AWD the AWD indicator light will come on. But when I switch the selctor to 4 HI I here a click sound from the switch, but no light, and when I switch the selector to 4 LO, the clicking sound keeps repeating as if it keeps trying to switch the transfercase electric shift motor, and still no indicator light. The indicator light stays on AWD. It's still stuck in 4 LO range. Do you think it might just be the selector switch in the dash or the electric shif motor? Still no sound coming from the shift motor underneath the vehicle. I bought this 98 EXPY from my father-in-law who is a surgeon and has never put the car in 4 LO or HI. Maybe AWD a few times. The AWD worked the other day when I tested it, but the 4HI and LO did not. So I parked it in the garage and when I got in the next day to run some errands, It was stuck in 4 LO. Also, my Haynes manual is not very exact on the electric shift motor removal and cleaning the contacts. Any help here would be great as well. Thanks. Still love my EXPY.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, I will try to look something up in my factory manual.

But FYI, for you to put the Expy into or out of 4LO, you MUST:

1) be in neutral
2) with your foot on the brake
3) going less than 5 kph (I really don't understand this part, I mean, your foot is on the brake...)

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way, if you really are in 4LO (really have the 4 wheel drive engaged), DO NOT drive around on dry pavement as you will tear up the transmission/transfer case/CV joints etc. These trucks are not designed to be FULL TIME 4 wheel drive. The reason is that the drivetrain is physically connected together through gears, chain drives, etc. Since when turning, all the wheels will be turning at different speeds, it puts a huge load on the transfer case. In FULL TIME 4WD vehicles, there is a viscous coupling element in the transfer case (kinda like a torque converter), which allows slip between the front and rear axles, allowing its full time use.

Also, another thing folks get confused with on the '97 to '01's in terms of the A4WD. People thing it is "ALL WHEEL DRIVE" mode, which it is not. It stands for "Automatic 4 wheel drive", and to put it simply, engages the 4WD (HI) mode when it senses slip in the rear wheels.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is awd. if wheels are slipping, the transfer case will direct power to other wheels to help out the slipping wheels. at least that is the way i understand it.

aldtime

Reaction score
You've probably fixed this by now but this happened to me a few years ago and just by chance I disconnected the battery while I was checking around for a solution and when I reconnected the battery and started the truck it popped out of 4 low. It hasn't done it since...

ZentineZ

Reaction score
Just had mine done.

I just replaced the the electric shift motor did the same thing I swiched to 4Low to get out of a jam. Got out and switched it back didnt wana go back to 2HI so i disconected the batt. Bought a new one from auto zone for like 150. Just did that last weekend.

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
probably just needed to give it a nudge with a rubber mallet... a friendly little beating! it works trust me - oh ya and those of you with the t-case motor - aka 4wd - engage it at minimum 1 time per month - go for 2 times or more to be safe - find some gravel, dirt, mud and stuff that sucker into 4 low and run it through the t case gears!

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figure this will be a good time to ask on an active topic pretaining to 4wd..

Why would I be getting a growling noise on acceleration in AWD, 4hi, and 4lo?? More like a moaning noise.. and it seems like it has a LOT of drag, or like Im pulling dead weight because it will stop itself if I let up off the gas pedal. I hate it! Dunno what to do and scared its gonna let go on me if I use it to much. I haven't even taken it in the mud, sand or anything else. I just run it through the gears once or twice a month cuz I do know thats good for it to keep everything moving atleast Some.