Transfer case motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RayBeakley

Reaction score
Hi, today driving my 2000 expy 5.4. Driving down highway in rain. I noticed my 4x4 light come on and off. At first it was irregular. But, after a couple of miles became regular. I stopped for gas. And turning out of pumps. Could feel 4wd engaged. I went to dirt lot. Tranfered to 4wd, then 4low. It released. But, 4x4 light was flashing consistantly. I parked in garage. Checked for codes. Found none. I turned 4wd on and off with ignition on. Motor off. Goes into 4wd almost silent. Goes to Awd with a click. I restarted it. No more light. But, seems to be stuck in 4wd again. Wrestled it around the block. Could not get to release. Backed in garage, and shut off. Anyone else think it would be transfer motor?

OP
OP
R

RayBeakley

Reaction score
Today I jacked up. The tranfer motor seems to work fine. I jacked only the drivers side tire. With truck ignition on. Motor off. I put in 4wd. And, can't budge. When put back into Awd. It uIMG_20180404_191546.jpg IMG_20180404_191452.jpg nlocks from rear. But, turns front drive shaft. I decided to check actuator. I removed the cover. And guess what? No actuator. Is this a cruel joke? I noticed plugged where differential lever would go.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not saying this has anything to do with yours, but I also have a 2000 4x4. When moisture got into my gem module, due to our lovely leaking window issue, my 4x4 light was flashing on/off till it dried out. From what your saying though your transfer case is actually engaging on its own. I sealed, and sealed again the windshield and finally sealed the gem plugs with dielectric grease to seal moisture out. That along with wrapping plastic bags around Gem, helped tremendously!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RayBeakley

Reaction score
Fuse 104 is for transfer motor, and clutch. Will this keep transfer from engaging? I need to drive 3 miles. I never had a windshield leak. Normally, I only drive once a week. It is in garage every night. I only drive it more often when required. Primarily, snow and ice. Or, high winds with possible flooding. Interior is in excellent condition. Never found any water anywhere. Except, when turn off and leave intermittant wipers on. Open door to start, without getting in. As soon as starts. Wiper sends snow falling into door pockets. My bronco used to do the same. And, of course. No drain holes.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
104 will stop 4 wheel drive from engaging, but will it stop your problem. First editions windshield doesn't necessarily have leaks like a blown heater core. Water still makes its way inside to the gem module. You'll need to pull any codes that may have been stored, and be sure your transfer case is engaging and disengaging proper.

OP
OP
R

RayBeakley

Reaction score
I just want to get to nearby shop. If I put in 4x4 it works fine. If I put in 4low it is normal. I checked for codes and didn't have any. Something seems to be engaging on its own. Did yours engage on its own? I can only assume a bad sensor is causing it to activate on dry asphalt. Could be the gem. I wouldn't know.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine would just flash the 4x4 lights on speedo cluster. As far as I could tell it was staying in Awd. The next morning after the rain, and Gem drying out, my flashing lights would stop. Your original post stated you could feel four wheel drive engaging, mine didn't engage, at least everything seemed normal when I hit freeway to go home. Have you had any rain/snow prior to it acting up?

OP
OP
R

RayBeakley

Reaction score
I live in New Jersey. We have had snow occasionally this year. But, the day light came on. It was light rain. When I pulled out of garage later that day. No 4x4 light. But, was locking again. I had jacked up. It seems to be released without power. So, I plan to pull the 104 fuse. And drive to shop. Am curious to see how it runs without the fuse. It is such a good vehicle in snow. Lately, I haven't locked in 4x4 often. The road crews, and snow at warmer temperatures. The roads often have bare spots. It works so well in A4wd. I only use 4x4 when I can't see any surface.

OP
OP
R

RayBeakley

Reaction score
I took fuse 104 out. Took a short drive. No problem. But, no 4x4 lights were on. I put fuse back in. Still no problem. It may be that something dried out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday