Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neowedge

Reaction score
Greetings-New guy with several transfer case questions.

#1.) What type of transfer case is in a 2000 Ford Expedition XLT Sport with 5.4L Engine with about 76,000 miles gently driven by my loving wife? Options are 4AWD, 4HI, & 4l. She has never switched the vichle into 4H or 4L but magically it is stuck in 4H.

#2.) I can't afford a new transfer case or even a remanufactured transfer case. Is there any way I can manually disconnect 4H and 4L until I can afford to replace? If this is even possible what components could I do further damge to? Front or Rear Differential, etc.....?

#3.) Anyone selling a used transfer case for this vehicle?

#4.) If I do change the transfer case can I cange it to 2wd, A4WD, 4H & 4L? Would this improve my gas milage any? Currently on a good day of highway driving is 14 MPG is the best we can get.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

elalexwey

Reaction score
iv heard (dont know if true)modifing any major part of vehicle throws of the computer might be better off replacing with oem,i tried making my 4x4 to 2wd by removing the transfer case and thats what i was told

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why can't you just pull the front driveshaft off?

It wouldn't hurt anything to do that.
-------

How are you verifying that you are indeed stuck in 4HI?

If you are indeed stuck in 4HI then pulling the driveshaft will not solve the wheel binding issue you'll have on dry pavement. You'll have to somehow get those hubs to unlock.

What have you done so far to try and "get it out" of 4HI?

Trizoy

Reaction score
Used transfer cases run ~$650 (98) and rebuilt around $1100. Though it sounds like the transfer case motor has stopped working. Might have simply been disocnnected... look under there, and click the switch.. you should here a solenoid engage.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could also be the front hub assemblies getting stuck...... The newer ones are vacuum operated and if you spring a leak then the front hubs will always be locked.

Just guessing,
Matt