Transmission Cooler ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK since I put the 35's on my Expedition I'm concerned that my transmission may be running hotter than normal.
BC with the 35's I feel like I'm always towing something.
So I am thinking of adding a transmission oil cooler to help to keep the temps down.

So does anyone know what the normal operating temperature supposed to be for the transmission ?

And I see that the cooler's go by GVW so I'm thinking of getting one that's rated for 20,000 lb. Which is more and thinking it would cool better..

Any advice ??

03 Expedition EB 5.4 4x4

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks roughly the size I replaced my factory AUX cooler with.

I have an UltraGauge (http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/) with the extra "trans temp" setting programmed. I see temps around 170 while stop and go (40-70 degrees air temp). And it'll go over 200 in the summer. I don't know where it's reading the temp (pan, torque converter, etc). I highly recommend getting this gauge. It can display up to 8 gauges at once (4 more than the ScanGauge) and costs about $75 (the ScanGauge is over $200).

So with that in mind, I've been thinking about bypassing the small cooler that's in the radiator and going straight to the AUX cooler. Or upgrading to the 6.0 powerstroke cooler: Dorman 918276.

On my Explorer, I have a similar set up. My ScanGauge is installed on this truck. But I have an Autometer trans temp gauge plumbed just before the fluid goes back into the transmission. I don't drive it much, but I usually see a significant difference in temp. I've only seen them approximately even one time while moving slowly through some hills (mountains) last summer.

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea I plan on bypassing the radiator completely and jus use the new trans cooler . I would think it would cool better as its not sharing same heat source as the coolant.
I got a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner that stays connected to the OBD Port.
And use a android app called Torque I'm gonna see if it covers the trans temp.

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed that my Expedition already has a small external trans cooler in front of the radiator..
So would it be worth still buying an aftermarket cooler ?
I'm so undecided what to do .. I don't know what the actual temperature is currently for the trans fluid so that makes it harder to decide to buy another cooler ??
So I thought of maybe getting a deeper tranny pan instead..

Does anyone have any experience in this or have knowledge on what I should do..
Thanks