Transmission Fluid Change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW, don't listed to ANY shop or dealer unless they tell you it is risky.
All they want is the money for the service and they ABSOLUTELY do not care it it goes out next week.
They will tell you if it goes out after a flush....it was going out anyway....Yes...but maybe in 25k miles.
They will even want to fix it for you!

********!!!

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
350,000??? Is that correct? Why bother at this point gezz should have at least been done 250,000 miles ago. Another reason I don't buy used vehicles....

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been trying to find an aftermarket trans dipstick for these, with the bottom end that screws into the transmission in place of the stubby dipstick cap. All I've been able to find are aftermarket dipsticks with a couple of O-rings on the bottom end of the tube.

I don't have a way to lift the truck up level, nor do I relish the idea of pumping trans fluid up and over into a small hole - for which I'd have to buy a pump, nor working with flammable trans fluid and my hand near a hot catalytic converter with the engine running while I'm under it. Feck that noise. I'll happily spend $ on an aftermarket dipstick. Might even install a drain plug in the trans pan.

I'd like to drop the pan to change the filter and whatever % of the fluid comes out that way. Then I'd put in a bottle of Lucas along with the new fluid. At 160K+ my 07 is getting just a little jerky sometimes once in a while on shifts. I've always had good results with the Lucas additive. Far as I've been able to find, the truck has never had the trans fluid changed.

My 97 Taurus has 92K when I bought it and it would SLAM into first when taking off from a stop. One fluid and filter change with one bottle of Lucas and it immediately improved, then over the course of several days use it quit slam shifting completely and has been fine since, now with over 108K miles. ('Course at 93K the engine pan gasket gave up, that was not a fun job but at least it was possible with only disconnecting the exhaust.)

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
350,000??? Is that correct? Why bother at this point gezz should have at least been done 250,000 miles ago. Another reason I don't buy used vehicles....
I assume there must be some peace of mind to have a newer vehicle that's under warranty. That is as long as they don't try to weasel out of the warranty for something breaks but usually nothing breaks and you're good to go with newer cars like that. I however I'm not willing to pay that much for the peace of mind.
I bought a clean 2000 Expedition with 190,000 miles on it and 2012. Now has 257 and the only thing we were placed on it is the alternator and one upper ball joint. It was super clean and rust free I got it very cheaply at $2,000 back then. I put almost nothing in it and it's still worth about $900.
If the transmission would have gone out I simply would have bought a used one off of Facebook, Craigslist for a salvage yard and swapped it. If you don't do the work yourself you can pay someone to swap it. Still wouldn't have had over eight or nine hundred dollars in the repair even if I had to pay someone to swap the trans. This seems like the only way to go to me.
I will never pay for a new car. Even if I won the vulgar Lottery of 1.3 billion dollars and was more than set for life, I still would not buy new. I would go buy a nine month old car that someone decided they wanted something else so they can lose the 20 or 30% willingly because they know they change their mind.
I absolutely can't stand over spend I just won't do it. We all have our Hang-Ups.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
All I've been able to find are aftermarket dipsticks with a couple of O-rings on the bottom end of the tube

I've been looking too and the aftermarket one available has a screw-in adapter for the tranny case and then the plastic dipstick tube is held into it with an "o" ring. Not safe enough for me.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly at 350k if that’s the original trans I’d be inclined to say leave it be

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly at 350k if that’s the original trans I’d be inclined to say leave it be
That will work as long as he doesn't change the way he drives, i.e.; starts drag racing or develops the need to start towing 8000 pound trailers around.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 07 and have similar symptoms. Replaced plugs and cop's, still not right. Took it to exhaust shop to have backpressure tested and showed drivers side is bad. Passenger side is close to bad. Haven't replaced yet, been getting ready for son #2. Hoping to do it this Friday. I will update after.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been trying to find an aftermarket trans dipstick for these, with the bottom end that screws into the transmission in place of the stubby dipstick cap. All I've been able to find are aftermarket dipsticks with a couple of O-rings on the bottom end of the tube.

I don't have a way to lift the truck up level, nor do I relish the idea of pumping trans fluid up and over into a small hole - for which I'd have to buy a pump, nor working with flammable trans fluid and my hand near a hot catalytic converter with the engine running while I'm under it. Feck that noise. I'll happily spend $ on an aftermarket dipstick. Might even install a drain plug in the trans pan.

I'd like to drop the pan to change the filter and whatever % of the fluid comes out that way. Then I'd put in a bottle of Lucas along with the new fluid. At 160K+ my 07 is getting just a little jerky sometimes once in a while on shifts. I've always had good results with the Lucas additive. Far as I've been able to find, the truck has never had the trans fluid changed.

My 97 Taurus has 92K when I bought it and it would SLAM into first when taking off from a stop. One fluid and filter change with one bottle of Lucas and it immediately improved, then over the course of several days use it quit slam shifting completely and has been fine since, now with over 108K miles. ('Course at 93K the engine pan gasket gave up, that was not a fun job but at least it was possible with only disconnecting the exhaust.)

Here is the dipstick kit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pma-pa68404