Transmission Range Sensor stuck!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wal92tt

Reaction score
Our 1999 Expedition EB 4x4 has 229,8xx miles and lived most of its life up North and has a lot of rust underneath. The shift lever has been hard to shift and feels like it's binding on something.

The linkage/cable feels like it's binding and it's hard to move the shift lever. I did spray the shift sensor on the trany and was able to get it to twist on the metal stud it slides onto but it's just not budging as far as coming off. I bolted everything back and then I was unable to start the truck unless I pressed the brake pedal, held the key in the start position and moved the lever between R N D until it stated. After a few days of this BS, I tried again underneath. Same thing, the sensor isn't coming off, even after drenching it with blaster/lube! I did adjust the sensor so the truck now starts in P and N. I guess the sensor has to be in a specific spot to work properly as far as starting goes.
Now my question, how do I get it off? It's still hard to shift, but not as bad as before I did all this. Now when in any gear, I can lightly bump the lever side to side and feel it stop before going into the next gear. Before it would simply be hard to move before going into the next gear. The white round plastic opening in the center of the sensor which slides onto the metal stud on the transmission looks and feels like it's glued on. It justy will not budge at all! I've read elsewhere some had to brake off the sensor in pieces. Is there any other way? Am I missing something and doing it wrong? It looks like the metal arm which the cable/linkage clips into is attached to the stud the sensor slides onto, and is not part of the sensor? It also looks like there are only 2 bolts holding the sensor in place, and it should simply slide off that stud? I'm stumped...........

Seamus

Reaction score
Break the old sensor off, throw it on the floor. There you go Now install the replacement CORRECTLY or you will find yourself changing it once again. It has a small groove on the reciever end coming out of the transmission. Make sure its in neutral and pop it on correct without damaging the plastic sensor component. That will take the weight off of your shifter