Transmission Recommendations? 2004 Eddie Bauer 5.4L 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another option is to regear your axles. That would reduce the strain on your transmission.

BillAlex

Reaction score
I would shop for local rebuilders that stand by there product. I pulled my Transmission myself and took it into a shop. They charged $700 to rebuild it and most of the local mechanics farmed out their trannie work to them. I also found out that they would have R&R my trannie for $300 with free towing. Mine was leaking like a sieve and pouring trannie fluid out on the drive way. The exhaust was the hardest part of the project and that wasn't that hard. Took a couple of hours but in the future, I think I will pay the three hundred for labor. BTW, the trannie had a bad case but they guaranteed it anyway. Since the case was bad, what they returned to me looked like a brand new Transmission. Parts certainly were inside. Didn't appreciate pulling and installing the second time but what the hell else are you going to do with your time on a Sunday afternoon? Make sure you look for a shop that does work for local mechanic shops. They don't want to lose their business so they stand behind their work. Usual shops which send out the work charge $1,700 to $2,000. You would be totally surprised at how much money you can save by letting your fingers do the shopping through the yellow pages (actually, the internet search and possibly some looking around on Craigslist)