Transmission "Shuddering"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thick

Reaction score
I just drained and refilled, not flush. And in my case, I didn't change the filter. Long story short, I dropped the pan but auto parts store gave me the wrong filter. Easier to drain and replace fluid with a 2 way fluid pump through the fill hole than to drop the pan.

Thanks for the info. I may actually attempt to do that myself... Maybe even get a two way pump if it's reasonable.

Of all of the things I've done mechanically including swapping axles, driveshafts, motors, etc... I've never done an automatic trans fluid and filter service... LOL

Now to research most recommended trans oil and filter for the 80 series 6 speed transmission...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
My 05 is in the shop as I type getting a trans installed... 125K on the clock, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. She was shuddering in overdrive, then began going into neutral in between 2-3 up-shift. I had last done the fluid at 80K... I'm awaiting the postmortem to see what actually broke.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drain and refill seems to be the safer way. I have heard some negative things about flushing also. On my vehicle a first edition, with a 4r100 trans, I had the dealership flush mine, at least I think they did. The reason I had them flush, is I was switching to mercon v.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
There are some good videos on Youtube regarding how to purge all of the old fluid. The problem with just dropping the pan is that you are only changing roughly half of the fluid volume. A purge by removing a cooler line, running the motor until flow decreases, then drop the pan and change the filter. Next after refilling the transmission with fresh fluid, you keep the cooler line disconnected and run again until it sputters fluid. Finally refill the fluid per manufacturer recommended procedure. Yes, you will waste some new fluid doing this however it will purge 100% of the old fluid from the inner passages as well as the torque converter. This differs from a "flush" as there are no non normal operating fluid pressures or routes taken. The problem with flushing is that contaminants that are otherwise trapped in the transmission can break free and wreck havoc internally.

Thick

Reaction score
My 05 is in the shop as I type getting a trans installed... 125K on the clock, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. She was shuddering in overdrive, then began going into neutral in between 2-3 up-shift. I had last done the fluid at 80K... I'm awaiting the postmortem to see what actually broke.

Man I'm sorry to hear this. Are they replacing new, rebuilding/rebuilt, reman? I'm curious how much they want to charge if I could ask... Please update once you get the reason for death.

I am thinking I need to at least do the pump remove and fill method to avoid this. I noticed a particular noise while in the drive-thru today that makes me wonder about the trans or the timing chain (and all the wonderful things that go with that)!

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I'll be picking it up this afternoon... I'll gladly let you know of the damage. I opted for a reman Jasper unit in order to save time over a rebuild. I'm getting a 3 year 100K mile warranty with it. From what I know so far... they replaced the transmission & torque converter, changed fluid in the transfer case as well as the new in the transmission. they also needed to change the shift cable as the end at the transmission needed to be cut due to corrosion.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
So... the total damage was $3,600.00 transmission, range sensor & shift cable replaced. I also had them replace the fuel pump driver module while it was in the shop as I was experiencing a shudder under light load. There were 2 codes in the ECM for fuel pressure. Unfortunately as I opted for the reman unit, the original transmission was not disassembled to determine what had failed. They just plopped it on the pallet for the return/core. I am suspecting the torque converter (based on the turbine like winding noise I heard) as well as the 2-3 servo spring(s). Anyway, the lack of noise in neutral, and while driving and the awesome shifting leads me to believe that the original was showing signs of it's age well before I began experiencing the 2-3 up shift neutral issue.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm glad that you got your truck back, and sorry you had to dump 3600 bucks into it!

I'll keep fingers crossed for you that you won't see a garage/dealer for a long, long time!

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Boose, what year was your SUV? Did you use it for towing? What a shame to have a fried tranny at 125k miles. Too bad you were out of any warranty. Let's hope 2017 will be issue free.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Yeah... I'm a big Ford fan but they let me down with this one... My Expy is an 05. I bought it in 08 with 46K on the clock So I can't speak to the entire picture. I do some occasional towing utility trailers or small boats. Last year I hauled my Brother in law's 26 foot express cruiser for him, short trip no problems. The truck has the optional towing package with the auxiliary trans cooler too. This wasn't a typical trans failure like I've seen based on towing stress. There was no signs of clutch pack failure, slipping etc. I wish I knew what actually broke in there... We only put 10K or so per year on it as it's my wife's daily driver. She uses it primarily for my son's wheelchair and back & forth to work (local). I don't baby it by any means when I'm driving it though. It's pulled tree stumps out of the dirt, and i've also been known to find a trail or two from time to time. But still, my Bronco went to 220K before the original E40D crapped out.