Transmission slipping in first but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not after adding fluid... I'll get a day then i need to add another quart... So my question is... I've put about 4 quarts of fluid in in the last week and every other day having to add another or it slips.. where the hell can 4 quarts of fluid go when there's no puddle under the truck? This is really frustrating.

Also how many oxygen sensors are on this thing (and where might they be located, I know where one is). Pretty sure my idle problem is an o2 sensor as my gas mileage has tanked, truck feels like it's gasping for air and have irregular idle that dips then recovers when braking to stop. Just replaced the egr and fixed a couple vacuum hose leaks after idle went south after replacing a leaking muffler to pass inspection (posted another thread on that issue). All these problems after doing a simple muffler job. . I'm about to stick a rag in the gas tank and have a party... Speaking of the gas tank, there's a small leak on the fill hose that only leaks when filling the truck, could that have anything to do with the engine idle issue? Ugh... So done with the problems

4.6L 99 xlt with 222000 miles on it.

OP
OP
Kermit

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nothing pink or obvious in the radiator overflow to indicate transmission fluid.

OP
OP
Kermit

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's kind of a ***** isn't it? Is that where you suspect the tranny fluid might be going? Am i checking the rear transfer or the front or both? Never had to check a front transfer, how u do that?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have 4 wheel drive it is bolted to the back of the transmission. If you have 2 wheel drive you don't have a transfer case.

What kind of trans fluid are you adding? Mercon V?

OP
OP
Kermit

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Think I've got the trans issue figured out... They hold 15 ish quarts, i was really really low. Added a quart of Lucas transmission fix and almost 6 quarts of fluid and it's now actually registering on the stick when checked at hot idle. There is a little leak. Parked in a different place to see if any puddles developed and there was a small one. The Lucas should fix that. I'll be cleaning the driveway and parking there again to see if the leak persists. See pix for the ATF and Lucas I'm using.
Thanks a ton for the help...

20170803_144814_HDR.jpg

20170803_144824_HDR.jpg

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I think it is supposed to take Mercon V not Mercon. Your trans troubles are just beginning...

OP
OP
Kermit

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual says mercon atf. The carton of ATF says suitable for use in Ford and GM vehicles where a dexronIII/mercon ATF is recommended, but then the dipstick days mercon v on it what's the difference? This is what I was told to get

20170803_151915_HDR.jpg

20170803_151703_HDR.jpg

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pic says transfer case uses Mercon, what is stated for transmission? Difference is the additives in the fluid and possibly chemical composition.

Go with what the dipstick indicates to use.