Transmissions used in all Expeditions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure which were the best transmissions used in all years of Expeditions and if they can interchange, plug 'n play or with little work.
I think my '97 came with either the E40D or 4R100 with the 5.4, and my newer
'05 5.4 with the 4R75W or 4R75E. I'm thinking that my '97's unit was more robust but I'm not sure. If anyone knows and could put a list together, it might make a good sticky.

Thanks,
Stephen

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it came with the E4OD, which is a reworked 4R100 is an option with the 5.4s. this is the better trans between these two. as for the other ones idk.

or the 4R70W in the 4.6s and some 5.4s.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My old man had tranny issues in his 04 at about 85000 miles. I think it was more just bad luck than anything and it was covered under warranty, but I have the E4OD and it has just over 200,000 miles and still runs fine. I like the older tranny's better than the new ones, but that is just my experience.

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got 215 thousand miles out of the E4OD in my '97 before I sold it. That was with towing boats and a tandem 16 ft trailer. The mechanicals on that Expedition held up way better than the body ('cept for exhaust manifolds and brake lines). Have to just see how it goes with the '05 I have now with 52K.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know several people with 1st gen expys and many with higher miles and not one of them has had a tranny issue. By higher i am talking about approaching the 200k mark which is pretty darn good in my opinion.