Travel trailer overall length with '21 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanpe

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my current Lance 1985 TT (23'8") with a longer 28'10" TT. The Lance had a GVWR of 6000# and the new TT has a GVWR of 7000# but is 5 feet longer. Any concerns pulling a 29' trailer with a non-Max Expo?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're going to get more movement as compared to the shorter trailer. Maybe try renting one for a weekend and testing it out? The hitch setup will need to be spot on.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my current Lance 1985 TT (23'8") with a longer 28'10" TT. The Lance had a GVWR of 6000# and the new TT has a GVWR of 7000# but is 5 feet longer. Any concerns pulling a 29' trailer with a non-Max Expo?
Do you have the HD tow package with your Expy? If yes, I would see no issue pulling at 28' trailer. I tow a 30' no issues after set up correctly.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the HD tow package with your Expy? If yes, I would see no issue pulling at 28' trailer. I tow a 30' no issues after set up correctly.
Do you use weight distribution hitch or just a regular hitch? Thanks.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you use weight distribution hitch or just a regular hitch? Thanks.
Yes, 10,000lb Equalizer WDH, upgraded Hellwig sway bars, Sumo rear spring spacers, and a good knowledge of using a CAT scale to get the WDH dialed in for my set up.

OP
OP
R

ryanpe

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments! I used a 10,000 Fastway E2 WD hitch towing my Lance and I will add a new WD hitch sized to my new rig as well. My Expy has 49K on it and 26,240 of that was towing the Lance. I have HD Towing Pkg. w/22" wheels.
With my Lance, I weighed it twice at Cat scales and dialed in my WD hitch really well. I dialed it in to within <1/2" from the unloaded state - front and back. My max CGVW has been scaled at 12,500 lbs at it's heaviest.
Our Expedition has towed every mile of the 26,240 like a rock star. We live at 7000' and camp in the Rockies extensively. High altitudes with high grades are seamless in this truck. We love the Expedition...would not trade it (except for Max) for any other vehicle. Other than the recalls, it's never been in the shop. My biggest concern is with navigating a 29' trailer and it's probably due to my apprehension not the Expedition's.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I tow a 27 with no issues and no upgrades with virtually the same truck. Same hitch as well. If you want to meet up and check it out, pm me for my number. Running it up to Brighton next week to get some repairs on the trailer. Won't be fully loaded but could give you some comparison.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull a 34. It pulls it fine. No question bigger is better. On a recent trip we drove about 400 miles with 20 mph constant side winds with gusts well above that. It obviously moved around a little, but never enough to concern me. I do have a good weight distributing hitch on it.

This picture was take when we got home from the dealer. I have set the hitch up better to level it out more.

IMG_6739.jpeg

Last edited:

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull a 34. It pulls it fine. No question bigger is better. On a recent trip we drove about 400 miles with 20 mph constant side winds with gusts well above that. It obviously moved around a little, but never enough to concern me. I do have a good weight distributing hitch on it.

This picture was take when we got home from the dealer. I have set the hitch up better to level it out more.

View attachment 79265
That is one good looking set up!

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments! I used a 10,000 Fastway E2 WD hitch towing my Lance and I will add a new WD hitch sized to my new rig as well. My Expy has 49K on it and 26,240 of that was towing the Lance. I have HD Towing Pkg. w/22" wheels.
With my Lance, I weighed it twice at Cat scales and dialed in my WD hitch really well. I dialed it in to within <1/2" from the unloaded state - front and back. My max CGVW has been scaled at 12,500 lbs at it's heaviest.
Our Expedition has towed every mile of the 26,240 like a rock star. We live at 7000' and camp in the Rockies extensively. High altitudes with high grades are seamless in this truck. We love the Expedition...would not trade it (except for Max) for any other vehicle. Other than the recalls, it's never been in the shop. My biggest concern is with navigating a 29' trailer and it's probably due to my apprehension not the Expedition's.
I should add that I'm riding a Gen 3 Expy, not a 4. In my case it was multiple upgrades to make my towing the best it could be. Including the things I mentioned, I also added new coil-over springs/shocks, new tires, new plugs, and cleaned throttle body which all attributed to gains for my older truck.

In your case, most not needed I imagine. I would still probably consider the sway bars upgrade though. Also, since I was targeting my trailer's ideal tongue weight I had to put my trailer on a diet. I moved things around in the trailer out of the front storage, ditched my dual 30lb propane bottles for just one single 20lb bottle, ditched my huge fancy grill for a light-weight one, ditched the cooking table, and generally only bring what I really need in that front storage area to keep weight off the tongue. My target is to be withing 50-100lbs of the trailer's listed tongue weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani