Travel Trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris_H

Reaction score
I have an 8000lb GVWR trailer. I had a 2009 Expy Limited with the tow package. Towing the trailer could best be described as scary. At the scales, with no cargo, I was within 50lbs of the Expys GVWR. I traded the expy for a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 with the Duramax and I couldn’t be happier. We did a trip to Yellowstone this spring, and I put on 3000miles, mostly towing. The final leg of the trip it was 102°F with 28mph winds, and my transmission temp never got hotter than 185°F. The truck was more stable in those conditions than the Expy was at 55mph with no wind and a flat road. The Expedition is a nice vehicle, but it is not appropriate for towing large trailers based solely on the max tow ratings. I challenge any of you towing large travel trailers to post your Cat Scale readings with numbers that aren’t exceeding your vehicles weight capacities. I’m not looking for an argument. This is my actual experience with this and buying a trailer “the Expedition should be able to tow”. I went down this road and made mistakes. Don’t overestimate the abilities of a tow vehicle. It will catch up to you eventually.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 8000lb GVWR trailer. I had a 2009 Expy Limited with the tow package. Towing the trailer could best be described as scary. At the scales, with no cargo, I was within 50lbs of the Expys GVWR. I traded the expy for a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 with the Duramax and I couldn’t be happier. We did a trip to Yellowstone this spring, and I put on 3000miles, mostly towing. The final leg of the trip it was 102°F with 28mph winds, and my transmission temp never got hotter than 185°F. The truck was more stable in those conditions than the Expy was at 55mph with no wind and a flat road. The Expedition is a nice vehicle, but it is not appropriate for towing large trailers based solely on the max tow ratings. I challenge any of you towing large travel trailers to post your Cat Scale readings with numbers that aren’t exceeding your vehicles weight capacities. I’m not looking for an argument. This is my actual experience with this and buying a trailer “the Expedition should be able to tow”. I went down this road and made mistakes. Don’t overestimate the abilities of a tow vehicle. It will catch up to you eventually.

Thanks for your honesty

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score

An example like yours is why I posted earlier about SWB Expeditions should stay with smaller trailers. My buddy had the exact same situation as yours. He had a 14 SWB Expy with a trailer around the same size as yours and said it was a nightmare pulling it. He traded it after only owning it a few months for a 2011 I think Chevy 2500 gasser and said it is much better. Again I think wheelbase makes a huge difference.

I know what I can tow and I know what I feel safe/comfortable towing. This thread is turning into the weight police jumping on everybody and if people start posting numbers an argument is exactly what will happen. Pretty much the reason I don't frequent RV.net anymore. You cant ask about a trailer over there without folks gaining up on you about weight

Either way you guys that are out there towing, be safe :)

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t mind the arguments, discussions, opinions, feedback. I like to hear everyone’s comments and weed out the good and bad. At the end of the day we all do what we think is better for ourselves.

I think we all rather have discussions and or arguments than accidents.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like Chuck said in an earlier post - stay within 85% of the rated capacity and you'll be fine. In this litigious society of today, I have got to think Ford and others have built themselves a bit of cushion in their "published" numbers as well. Have fun!

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked Ford's website and plugged in my VIN. My GCWR is 15,200#s and door sticker says 7,500#s GVWR / 1,382#s cargo (which suggests a wet vehicle weight of 6,118#s). Based on my math, it would seem a 7,500# trailer would fall within safety spec. If a top WDH is used, it appears to be plenty safe, as long as the driver uses intelligence when towing.

I am looking at an Open Range 2802BHS (with an Andersen No Sway WDH), which on paper, is well within spec.

Greg S

Reaction score
We have a 2008 Ford Expy Eddie Bauer 2WD SWB, 5.4L Triton V8, no factory tow package and 3.31 gears, so ours is rated to tow 6,000 pounds max. I added a TBC and trans oil cooler to protect the tranny. Our travel trailer is a 2018 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 243BHS (27 feet long) that has a dry weight of about 4,700 pounds...havent taken it to the scale but estimate it to be around 5,500 fully loaded. I pull it with a Husky WDH with built in sway control, and opted for the 800-1200# tongue weight model. Our Expy pulls the trailer very well, especially for not having the factory tow package. Takes off and stops great, although I feel the weight a bit on acceleration. The trailer feels very stable on the road at highway speeds, but the WDH is a must. I usually run between 60-65 when towing and get around 10MPG. Next upgrade will probably be tow mirrors.

I do agree that a bigger SD truck with longer wheelbase would be an optimal tow vehicle, but for the 6-8 times a year we tow our trailer, and all of the room and versatility our Expy gives us, I would take the Expy over a pickup any day (I’ve had several F150s and an F250 and the Expy is such a better vehicle for our needs for everyday use - my wife and I and our two young kids so interior space and comfort is critical). And I am very happy with the way it tows.

I know this started out to be about the 2015-2017 Expy and ours is a 2008, but if I can comfortably tow our TT with our Expy, a newer model with the trailer package would more than get the job done.

Best of luck and enjoy your upcoming purchase!

EEF84320-393C-4CCC-8903-06D5BAA8FF0F.jpeg

Last edited:

tom_vegas

Reaction score
20160915_115234.jpg

I RV travel full time towing a Lance 2385 (24') travel trailer with my 2007 Ford Expedition 4WD XLT Short WB. The Lance 2385 weighs 4,700 lbs empty, rated 6,300 lbs max. If I towed the trailer at the max weight of 6,300 lbs (which I don't) + 6,000 lbs max weight of the 2007 Ford Expedition = 12,300 lbs total combined weight which is almost 20% less than the total truck and trailer combined weight rating of 15,000 lbs.

In order to control the trailer and track straight and smooth, I made the following mods to my 2007 Ford Expedition:

• Blue Ox WD Hitch with 10,000 lb tow bars
  • Rancho Quicklift Coil Over Shocks with 7 point adjustment. Eliminates the front end rake, levels the truck and straightens the truck - hitch - trailer level. No hitch sag.
  • Gibson Side Swept exhaust to increase HP
  • K & N cold air filter to increase HP
  • Tekonsha Brake Controller
  • Toyo LT265/70R17 Open Country AT II 10ply
  • Aero Force Enforcer Gauge for constant Transmission Temp and Coolant Temp Monitoring
  • Hellwig Anti-Sway bars front and back on the Ford Expedition
  • 3.73 Gears
I would not tow a travel trailer longer than 24' with a short WB Ford Expedition. I drive conservatively when I am towing not exceeding 60mph. Recently completed a 8,000 mile trip through the Pacific Northwest with no problems. Even drove with 35mph cross winds and the truck and trailer tracked straight.

If you would like more details on my traveling experience towing a travel trailer, please visit my travel BLOG at TomOrd.com. Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited: