Travel Trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris_H

Reaction score
I just checked Ford's website and plugged in my VIN. My GCWR is 15,200#s and door sticker says 7,500#s GVWR / 1,382#s cargo (which suggests a wet vehicle weight of 6,118#s). Based on my math, it would seem a 7,500# trailer would fall within safety spec. If a top WDH is used, it appears to be plenty safe, as long as the driver uses intelligence when towing.

I am looking at an Open Range 2802BHS (with an Andersen No Sway WDH), which on paper, is well within spec.
If you are going by the numbers, you’ll hit the GVWR of the Expedition long before you hit the GCWR. Tongue weights are usually 12-15% of trailer weight, and the published numbers are dry. No propane, no batteries. Don’t forget the weight of the hitch. I think our trailer has a 550lb listed tongue weight and we are much closer to 700lbs. That tongue weight comes right off of the GVWR. In this example, 1382-700=682lbs Add four people at 150lbs ea and you have 82lbs of capacity remaining. If I had to tow with an Expedition, I’d target trailers in the 5000-5500GVWR range. YMMV but if you are talking yourself into something based on the numbers, pick the other numbers.

joey13olive

Reaction score
Well you asked for others opinions and I can only share my experiences. I have a 2008 Expedition EL 5.4L and towing trailers can be a tough learning experience. I owned a 24' Featherlight 5500 lbs loaded. My package included stabilizing bars and it towed "ok". Over the last 5 years I rent once a year and towed up to 28' trailer at about 6500lbs. I was a little nervous at times and stayed off the highway and it towed fine at 60mph. Did not like hills of any nature. I am always amazed by the pick up trucks blowing by on the highway at 80 mph. With all that said, I love the vehicle. We have a famly of 5 and the kids always want a friend to tag along. None of my pick ups could haul 6 - 8 people, plus camper.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
(responding to Chris noting all the tongue weight in on the truck.)

That's fine for weight bearing towing like a Uhaul on the back. A properly setup weight distributing hitch puts a percentage of that tongue weight back onto the trailer's axles not on the tow vehicle's axles. I've seen guesstimates of 33% of tongue weight gets put back onto the trailer's axles and each of the vehicle axles. Perfect distribution looks like 2/3 of the tongue weight is borne by the truck, not 100% as in a weight bearing setup. 10%-15% of a conventional trailer's gross weight should be on the ball for proper control. Motorboat trailers need 5%-7.5%.

Try this on-line calculator. Or just take the while rig to a CAT scale and see what's on each axle.

-- Chuck

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 8000lb GVWR trailer. I had a 2009 Expy Limited with the tow package. Towing the trailer could best be described as scary. At the scales, with no cargo, I was within 50lbs of the Expys GVWR. I traded the expy for a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 with the Duramax and I couldn’t be happier. We did a trip to Yellowstone this spring, and I put on 3000miles, mostly towing. The final leg of the trip it was 102°F with 28mph winds, and my transmission temp never got hotter than 185°F. The truck was more stable in those conditions than the Expy was at 55mph with no wind and a flat road. The Expedition is a nice vehicle, but it is not appropriate for towing large trailers based solely on the max tow ratings. I challenge any of you towing large travel trailers to post your Cat Scale readings with numbers that aren’t exceeding your vehicles weight capacities. I’m not looking for an argument. This is my actual experience with this and buying a trailer “the Expedition should be able to tow”. I went down this road and made mistakes. Don’t overestimate the abilities of a tow vehicle. It will catch up to you eventually.
Well said.

Chris_H

Reaction score
(responding to Chris noting all the tongue weight in on the truck.)

That's fine for weight bearing towing like a Uhaul on the back. A properly setup weight distributing hitch puts a percentage of that tongue weight back onto the trailer's axles not on the tow vehicle's axles. I've seen guesstimates of 33% of tongue weight gets put back onto the trailer's axles and each of the vehicle axles. Perfect distribution looks like 2/3 of the tongue weight is borne by the truck, not 100% as in a weight bearing setup. 10%-15% of a conventional trailer's gross weight should be on the ball for proper control. Motorboat trailers need 5%-7.5%.

Try this on-line calculator. Or just take the while rig to a CAT scale and see what's on each axle.

-- Chuck
I went to the CAT scale and bought a 3/4 ton diesel.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My camper is under 6000 pounds and is 23 feet long. It's a hybrid that opens to about 30' on site. Expedition handles it easily. I forget the tongue weight (I have a tongue scale) but it stays well within limits. Not sure I want anything heavier behind this truck and I ain't ready for a F250 just yet. :)

--Chuck

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a travel trailer, I know, but I just recently towed this all over Michigan for several days in a snowstorm too. After scaling it the load was almost 8400 lbs. Truck had the power to tow it confidently. Truck brake gain controller and trailer brakes worked well in concert with each other to ensure confident stops. The rub came when driving I-69 through flint on concrete that was frost heaved...it got a little scary pretty darn quick even at the 65mph speed I was driving. Had to switch to the left lane and slow way down to keep everything from bouncing and jouncing down the hwy. Any kind of evasive maneuvering would have been on the scary side too. I’m sure my tongue weight was much too high so that’s partly my fault but what I’m trying to say is that my truck could confidently tow and brake but handling was a little wonky when you’re up near it’s tow raging at least in my case. After towing for several days like this, I was extremely happy to dump the trailer and have my truck back. d42c3493e8c9daab799e93f0978bb0b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Muddy - You can be perfectly loaded and balanced and hit a stretch of highway that feels like a suspension test track. There is a stretch like that heading into Door County, WI where I thought I was going to vomit. You hit the right combo of truck, trailer, and road going up and down just right and there's not much you can do but ride it out. That's quite a tractor you have there, BTW!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a travel trailer, I know, but I just recently towed this all over Michigan for several days in a snowstorm too. After scaling it the load was almost 8400 lbs. Truck had the power to tow it confidently. Truck brake gain controller and trailer brakes worked well in concert with each other to ensure confident stops. The rub came when driving I-69 through flint on concrete that was frost heaved...it got a little scary pretty darn quick even at the 65mph speed I was driving. Had to switch to the left lane and slow way down to keep everything from bouncing and jouncing down the hwy. Any kind of evasive maneuvering would have been on the scary side too. I’m sure my tongue weight was much too high so that’s partly my fault but what I’m trying to say is that my truck could confidently tow and brake but handling was a little wonky when you’re up near it’s tow raging at least in my case. After towing for several days like this, I was extremely happy to dump the trailer and have my truck back. d42c3493e8c9daab799e93f0978bb0b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What you describe is exactly why tow ratings are what they are. Sure a 5.4 or 3.5 will pull anything you put behind it even upwards of 13,000 pounds. Heck a Toyota Tundra pulled a plane. It’s not about what it can pull, but how the truck handles and controls that weight at speed. They may be able to accelerate the weight but that’s only a quarter of the battle, seems like lots of people don’t understand just because your power plant will pull it, doesn’t mean the truck can control it. Once things get wonky as you say you know your getting up there on the weight.

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys are a riot. Yall are talking about getting bigger trucks and here I went and downsized. I traded this in for my 17 EL and don't have any regrets. Well one, the 250 was paid for lol! The Expedition pulls my trailer just as well. Maybe not as much grunt from a stop as the Superduty but once its up and going it pulls it fine and IMO better because the ride is better. I would have liked to keep the F250 but my family was growing and I needed more room especially with 3 kids. We take a lot of road trips and a lifted 250 just wasn't gonna cut it in the comfort department.

IMG_1195.jpg