Trim alignment.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmbaker3

Reaction score
Seriously, how difficult is this to align. Considering this Expedition but this would drive me nuts each time I walked up to it. Easy fix???20201230_093855.jpg20201230_093855b[1] copy.jpg

BFD350

Reaction score
That would drive me nuts too. My only feedback is to ask a body shop if they could adjust the panels...unsure if the trim itself could be moved.

If anything, hammer them on the price if you haven’t purchased yet. Even if you dont fix it at least you’ll have the satisfaction that you paid less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

I took delivery on a Sunday, and had sold my prior vehicle.

When I picked it up (2 miles on odometer), the painted LF wheel opening molding was crooked and coming off the fender. The black plastic fasteners that were inside the wheel opening were installed crooked, or not fully seated.

The LF molding, at the bottom of the fender behind the wheel was also coming off and crooked.

The hood, at the rear by the cowl and fender, was lower than the fender on one side (it would later be shimmed with two fender washers by the dealer).

I had to return the vehicle to have the trim pieces removed and reapplied.

It was very clear that the workers at the Kentucky Truck Plant did a poor assembly job, and their quality control inspector (if there was one), also did a bad job.

When I first walked up to the vehicle to look at it with my wife, the salesman saw me looking at the LF and the hood. He quickly told me had had seen the problems and that the dealership “would take care of it”. Ironically, the dealership service employee that was paid to perform a pre-delivery inspection did not repair or note the problems.

I now regret not accepting the vehicle due to the poor initial quality (and numerous other defects that surfaced).

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@99WhiteC5Coupe - that's nuts, I have to believe there are still folks that have pride in their work, but from what I've been seeing lately, they are incentivized these days regardless of output quality, as long as the output numbers are high enough. I don't understand it, I get folks hate on companies like Hyundai, but they were a customer of mine for years, as well as Toyota. At the time, Hyundai was said to have the lowest manufacturing tolerances in the entire world, meaning each vehicle was nearly identical to the previous, with little to no variation. What is it with US automakers right now. GM's had crazy issues, the legacy Chrysler part of DaimlerBenz, etc... I pray that once I get through my current issues, this thing will do better.

PhrogPilot

Reaction score
Our 2019 has trim on the driver’s side that makes me nuts. Gotta say that the color reflection is interesting too! LOL!

A0DD7D9D-84EB-44BF-ABB3-570080C0E180.jpeg

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
My '16 arrived brand-new with the driver's door misaligned horizontally with the rear-passenger door trim at the non-hinge side, plus that vertical edge sticks out from being flush by 1/8". Dealer couldn't/wouldn't address it. Drove me crazy. I eventually learned to ignore it.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@99WhiteC5Coupe - that's nuts, I have to believe there are still folks that have pride in their work, but from what I've been seeing lately, they are incentivized these days regardless of output quality, as long as the output numbers are high enough. I don't understand it, I get folks hate on companies like Hyundai, but they were a customer of mine for years, as well as Toyota. At the time, Hyundai was said to have the lowest manufacturing tolerances in the entire world, meaning each vehicle was nearly identical to the previous, with little to no variation. What is it with US automakers right now. GM's had crazy issues, the legacy Chrysler part of DaimlerBenz, etc... I pray that once I get through my current issues, this thing will do better.

I agree with you.

The sad part is the plant worker(s) didn’t install it right, the quality control inspector ignored it - and the dealership service tech (who got paid to check it), signed-off on it.

I also later realized the inside trim panels (right side, third seat - just forward of rear, side window near the C pillar) - were not installed properly and were loose and misaligned. I fixed that myself.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, on the second row bench for me, there are places where the upholstery on the floor and the plastic trim don't meet well, so there are literally gaps, not much I can do to fix it without taking out all the seats. Really frustrating.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seriously, how difficult is this to align. Considering this Expedition but this would drive me nuts each time I walked up to it. Easy fix???View attachment 39483View attachment 39484

Today, while stopped at a stop light, a black Expedition Limited stopped next to me on the left, forward of my vehicle.

It had graphite color wheels, with small colored stickers on the tires (right side) - and the vehicle looked new. It had out-of-state license plates.

The right rear chrome trim was very misaligned, as shown in your picture. I noticed the trim first, then remembered your post.

Last edited: