Tuning real world MPG results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
intense98neon

intense98neon

Reaction score
I'm afraid the OP is on a fools errand. While "tunes" can and do unleash power they aren't going to net you a vast increase in mileage simply because the factories are looking for ANYTHING to get better mileage...the tune of your truck from the factory is optimized for mileage, with power being a secondary goal.

FWIW: my '17 is averaging 18.3 since brand new. Individual tanks usually net my close to 20 lately.

jeff

I don't think I'm on a "fools errand" I was just checking to see if in the real world anybody had gotten better MPG with a tune. 5 star claims 2-3 MPG better with certain tunes.

Our average on the truck at 87k miles is 17.2, this includes towing a camper and other trailers. On an individual tank we can also get closer to 20.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think I'm on a "fools errand" I was just checking to see if in the real world anybody had gotten better MPG with a tune. 5 star claims 2-3 MPG better with certain tunes.

Our average on the truck at 87k miles is 17.2, this includes towing a camper and other trailers. On an individual tank we can also get closer to 20.
Yeah on their strictly economy tunes for low octanes maybe 2mpgs. But the truck isn’t fun to drive at that point anymore.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did not mean that personally by any means OP....but we know that they juggle power/economy to death trying to satisfy the Regulation and the Consumer Affairs divisions of the factory, no matter which maker.

Your saving 2 cents per mile(according to the math) going from 17.5 to 20.....I'd guess return on investment on a 500 buck tune at roughly 16 months if you drive 15K per yr.

You will see much larger dividends by modifying the speed. In my car which is supercharged I went from 18mpg at 70mph to 30 at 60 mph on a 100 mile daily commute. If you can make yourself do it, I found it VEERY hard to stay under 60mph....but it was a huge return.

I didn't do it to save anything b/c I don't pay for gas....I just did it to see the difference.

jeff

MTShooter

Reaction score
I drive my Expy to work, 22 miles one way; 10 miles on interstate, 8 miles on highway, and 4 miles through the neighborhood. On I-95 the cruise control get set at 82. On Hwy 204 it gets set at 65, and I do 30-40 in the neighborhood. With an 5 Star 89 Economy Tune I get 19.9 mpg, and the performance is a LOT better than stock. I hear that if I stay below 70-75 that I will get much better mileage, but I don't think I will ever be able to verify that.

Dan, I know this is an old thread. I'm a new member/Expy owner as of last week. I've scoured 5 Star's site, but haven't been able to find an "Economy" tune option. Is there a different name for what you're running? I saw your comment on the 17 Ecoboost thread about your trip to and from FL and that seemed like enough of a difference to justify the 5 Star purchase, especially if you are also seeing a noticeable difference in performance. Thanks in advance.