Turn signal only left

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by CoastieMarquis, Oct 22, 2018.

1. CoastieMarquis

CoastieMarquis Member

Ok, I have a 2008 expedition limited, and its having an issue with the turn signal. When it's in the neutral or left position it blinks left, pushing it up to the right cancels the signal out. I suspected that the issue may be within the switch itself, however, when I disconnected the switch entirely, the vehicle blinker turned on (left). Is there a relay I'm missing? It's not flashing fast, both the front and rear bulbs are fine. I'm just unsure as to what else in the system could be causing it.

2. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

Their is a relay, but I'm not sure if it's swappable or its soldered in. Sounds like something's fused together. Usually a shorted relay doesn't work at all. Try swapping out the turn signal flasher, and go from there. Preferably a Ford dealer one, they cost a little more, but work better, without issues.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

3. CoastieMarquis

CoastieMarquis Member

Flasher is just another term for relay... which is fine, but where is that located?

4. MrSticker

MrSticker Full Access Members

5. CoastieMarquis

CoastieMarquis Member

I checked the 2008 owners manual, it shows the relay for the trailer signals, and the fuse for the signals, but no actual relay for just the flash. I'm very confused.

6. MrSticker

MrSticker Full Access Members

7. 1955moose

I believe the 3 rd gens have the signal function as part of the smart junction box, basically the more modern Gem module that came on earlier ones. It's confusing because parts stores list a relay/turn signal flasher, but theirs no where for it. My 2000 has a replacement relay under dash, driver's side. I replaced mine a few months back. Anybody else want to chime in, does he have a replacement flasher? And if so where is it?

8. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

It has the new, modern razzmatazz electronic flasher in the sjb.

How are you with wiring diagrams? Easy way to test the mfs.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  9. CoastieMarquis

CoastieMarquis Member

I myself am not great with wiring and diagrams and such. HOWEVER, I am an aircraft mechanic in the USCG and happen to know a few really good electrical/electronics guys that would be able to help me.

10. 1955moose

Stamp that's what I thought. Harley's had the same deal. It was part of a junction box . Why then do all the parts stores show a traditional flasher? Just to mess with you! Well Coastie your not going to like this part, but if it turns out to be the junction box, and you replace it at home, your SUV won't run. Apparently the old one has to be programmed into the new one by dealer. I just read that part. You can troubleshoot it at home, but I wouldn't disconnect it. Maybe Stamp or one of the others can confirm that part.