UPDATE: 03 Ford Expedition 5.4L won't accelerate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2003 expedition, Eddie Bauer. I get regular oil changes and had my tires done in 2015. I am a single mother of 5 and cannot afford to get new tires all the time. Anyway, 07/30/2017 my truck just stopped driving faster than 20MPH. I had my brother (mechanic) check it out for me.
These are the PO codes I had:
PO304
PO405
P1405
P0171/74
PO301
PO316
PO302
PO306

My brother changed the spark plugs and replaced my coil packs thinking this would solve the issue. His mother's truck (F150) had the same problem and replacing those parts solved the issue. But for me, it didn't do a thing.
The codes I have remaining now are:
P0174
PO300
PO301
PO302
PO316

UPDATE: so after all this, I got my MAF sensor cleaned and replaced my fuel filter. My truck went from not being able to accelerate over 20mph to going up to 35MPH. I got it diagnosed today and I have these two codes:
P0100
P0505

That’s it. The mechanic will be back tomorrow to test my idle control valve on his diagnostic computer. Any other input before then would be appreciated. As he was diagnosing it, while it was on and in park, it kept revving up by itself. There were a few times it sounded and felt like it was going to cut off but it didn’t. It’s never cut off on me. When you press on the gas it just feels like someone is tugging on my car going the opposite direction. I just need my truck fixed ASAP.

UPDATE 1/22/2018
I had a mechanic come and replace my MAF sensor and my idle air control valve with brand new parts. Now my truck won't even stay on for longer than 1 minute. It'll turn over then it'll shake and shut off. I replaced the battery with a brand new one. I know I need to replace all my fluids, and probably fill the tank. But I am not sure. Could it need a fuel pump? The mechanic (who was licensed BTW said I needed a few things done)
-Heater Control Valve replacement
-Brake system flush
-Change oil & filter
-Power steering fluid
-Transmission fluid
My question is, could these things have my car not staying on? Or is there something else? I am just tired of paying for this and that and not getting results. Thank you.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your local auto parts store have a fuel pressure tester for rent?

Also, do you know what the fuel pump sounds like? Turn the key on but don't crank. You should hear a high pitched sound for 2 seconds. That's the pump. Then start it and listen for that sound..might have to open the gas hatch and listen there. See if the sound starts changing pitch or if it dies out first then the truck dies...

Short of having a scan tool or fuel pressure test kit this is a simple test to help rule out fuel related issues.

You can also try spraying some carb cleaner or something in the intake...just don't hit the maf with any spray..and see if you can keep it going when it starts to die this way.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 expedition, Eddie Bauer. I get regular oil changes and had my tires done in 2015. I am a single mother of 5 and cannot afford to get new tires all the time. Anyway, 07/30/2017 my truck just stopped driving faster than 20MPH. I had my brother (mechanic) check it out for me.
These are the PO codes I had:
PO304
PO405
P1405
P0171/74
PO301
PO316
PO302
PO306

My brother changed the spark plugs and replaced my coil packs thinking this would solve the issue. His mother's truck (F150) had the same problem and replacing those parts solved the issue. But for me, it didn't do a thing.
The codes I have remaining now are:
P0174
PO300
PO301
PO302
PO316

UPDATE: so after all this, I got my MAF sensor cleaned and replaced my fuel filter. My truck went from not being able to accelerate over 20mph to going up to 35MPH. I got it diagnosed today and I have these two codes:
P0100
P0505

That’s it. The mechanic will be back tomorrow to test my idle control valve on his diagnostic computer. Any other input before then would be appreciated. As he was diagnosing it, while it was on and in park, it kept revving up by itself. There were a few times it sounded and felt like it was going to cut off but it didn’t. It’s never cut off on me. When you press on the gas it just feels like someone is tugging on my car going the opposite direction. I just need my truck fixed ASAP.

UPDATE 1/22/2018
I had a mechanic come and replace my MAF sensor and my idle air control valve with brand new parts. Now my truck won't even stay on for longer than 1 minute. It'll turn over then it'll shake and shut off. I replaced the battery with a brand new one. I know I need to replace all my fluids, and probably fill the tank. But I am not sure. Could it need a fuel pump? The mechanic (who was licensed BTW said I needed a few things done)
-Brake system flush
-Change oil & filter
-Power steering fluid
-Transmission fluid
My question is, could these things have my car not staying on? Or is there something else? I am just tired of paying for this and that and not getting results. Thank you.

In short no, those extras he mentioned have nothing to do with your problem. Do NOT let him sell you any of those services *for now* all you need fixed for now is your rough run condition anything else is a waste of money. Sounds like you may have a clogged catalytic converter. Your problem is either blocked exhaust or as mentioned above fuel related.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may also want to try cleaning your throttle body, that can cause surging and rough running idle conditions.

Last edited:

StreetCreeper

Reaction score
In short no, those extras he mentioned have nothing to do with your problem. Do NOT let him sell you any of those services *for now* all you need fixed for now is your rough run condition anything else is a waste of money. Sounds like you may have a clogged catalytic converter. Your problem is either blocked exhaust or as mentioned above fuel related.

My thoughts are the cat too. Had a Mazda Tribute lose power and acceleration. Had to trailer it home. I unbolted the cat and it ran like a champ.

I'm not a mechanic though so I probably shouldn't be trusted for advice.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First of all get a new mechanic. Anyone that's pushing all the other maintenance items without fixing your driveability issue problem needs a big boot in the ass! You've got maf sensor code, which definitely can cause your issue, along with the idle control valve. He replaced parts, without diagnosis of compete vehicle. Prior to the later codes, you had cylinder lean codes, and other issues. First order of business is fuel pressure test, codes, then diagnosis of systems. Your guy just threw parts at the codes be found. Sadly it's a little more complex than that. I hope you find a more competent mechanic! Sometimes when you get multiple codes in excess like you have, the ecu computer is blown out. Good luck, keep us posted with your findings.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guy is an a$$ hat for suggesting fluid changes when the vehicle doesn’t run right. Get a new mechanic. Check the boot at both ends of the pcv valve hose. Look for cracks or degrading rubber. Mine did this and had all the same symptoms and a maf code. It’s simple and free to check. Also the boots are like 4$ if there is a bad one.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2003 expedition, Eddie Bauer.

UPDATE 1/22/2018
-Brake system flush
-Change oil & filter
-Power steering fluid
-Transmission fluid

First, You state you know that you need to replace fluids.
Is this your suggestion or the mechanics suggestion.

Second, Since the MAF sensor and the IAC were changed I would go back and MAKE SURE that the electrical connectors are properly reconnected. It is not uncommon to either forget to reconnect or to not properly reconnect the connectors. Look at the connectors and make sure no pins were bent.

Third, none of the following should have any effect on the condition you are experienceeing

-Brake system flush
-Change oil & filter
-Power steering fluid
-Transmission fluid

Again if this is something you are suggesting and needs done than have it done However if the mechanic is suggesting this and saying this is part of the problem then BEWARE if he is sampling suggestion that it is something that is for maintenance than have it done but only after the expy is fixed correctly

As was suggested Check Fuel Pressure Post the results

OP
OP
Z
Reaction score
I said it needed fluids because it has been sitting there since July. But like I said, I don’t have any codes now. The truck just won’t stay on so I don’t even know if it accelerates or not. How do I check the fuel pressure? It’s never shut off before which is why I’m so confused. It just wouldn’t accelerate. I don’t know anything about cars, so any help would be appreciated. I’m learning as I go.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Injectors OK? Measure the ohms, if they all match pull em, inspect the nozzles