Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct.

You'll need Forscan and an ODBLink EX interface cable to flash the APIM firmware. From what I read, CyanLabs recommends a USB 2.O port connection instead of USB 3.0 for the cable due to sporadic errors. You can use Bluetooth with ODBLINK MX+ but it's not as reliable.

LokiWolf is correct - it's risky. If the flash fails at the wrong point, it bricks the APIM and you'll need to buy a replacement from Ford and program it. I checked recently and it's ~$500 for the part.

Here's the info for the firmware update: https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/updating-apim-firmware-calibration-files/17

Last edited:

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct.

You'll need Forscan and an ODBLink EX interface cable to flash the APIM firmware. From what I read, CyanLabs recommends a USB 2.O port connection instead of USB 3.0 for the cable due to sporadic errors. You can use Bluetooth with ODBLINK MX+ but it's not as reliable.

LokiWolf is correct - it's risky. If the flash fails at the wrong point, it bricks the APIM and you'll need to buy a replacement from Ford and program it. I checked recently and it's ~$500 for the part.

Here's the info for the firmware update: https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/updating-apim-firmware-calibration-files/17

I’m on the fence...I’m in technology - robotics, IT, software development, networking, etc as a career for the last 20 years and used to “hack” everything I owned, but automative seems to be a bit of its own beast. I’ve also been in leadership roles for a while instead of getting my hands dirty anymore and I just don’t know I feel like the juice is worth the squeeze for me. Is it really that risky for someone who is quite fluent with technology? Is it the process itself that is so unknown or is it because the processes are intolerant of mistakes?

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m on the fence...I’m in technology - robotics, IT, software development, networking, etc as a career for the last 20 years and used to “hack” everything I owned, but automative seems to be a bit of its own beast. I’ve also been in leadership roles for a while instead of getting my hands dirty anymore and I just don’t know I feel like the juice is worth the squeeze for me. Is it really that risky for someone who is quite fluent with technology? Is it the process itself that is so unknown or is it because the processes are intolerant of mistakes?
The benefit of going the route of trying to update this module just doesn't get you anything of real value compared to the risk.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been in Technology for decades and do PM work now so I understand. The missing art annoys me and I have all the tools for the update but I don't know if $500+ is worth XM & Radio station art and calm mode.

LokiWolf is an excellent resource.

In my opinion, as long as you understand the risk, it's a straight forward process but you must follow it exactly and use the recommended hardware and software.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, my Sync 3 is STILL downloading files. It's on at least #8. It is installing SYNC3 v3.4.21020. Every time it downloads a file and installs it I get a message that the system successfully updated. It then checks for updates and starts downloading another file. They are all like this one but they do have slightly different file names. I assume this is normal but when will it be done? Has anyone gone through this process and had it finish completely?

20210515_170152.jpg

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, my Sync 3 is STILL downloading files. It's on at least #8. It is installing SYNC3 v3.4.21020. Every time it downloads a file and installs it I get a message that the system successfully updated. It then checks for updates and starts downloading another file. They are all like this one but they do have slightly different file names. I assume this is normal but when will it be done? Has anyone gone through this process and had it finish completely?

View attachment 42089

Completely normal. As long as the files continue to change names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well well... It's done. All total 8-10 files it downloaded. I tried to keep track but I'm sure I missed one or two. No more than 10 though.

Here is the current SW version info:

20210516_123717.jpg 20210516_123701.jpg

Album art is working for SXM

20210516_124152.jpg

But not for terrestrial radio.

20210516_123949.jpg

Kinda bummed they changed the GUI for the radio stations and now no image shows up. It used to have the stations logo. Now nothing.

Looks like was some changes to Ford Pass and now Google assistant works without having to plug in USB and launch Android Auto.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post a day using Sync build 3.4.21098, it is noticeability faster navigating from menu 2 menu or screen to screen. Almost instant response now. I also have more apps available on the sync screen/CarPlay (Dunkin Donuts & Cisco WebEx were the ones I noticed as new so far).