Updating your sway bar, is it needed if you have HD tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced front and rear sway sway bars in my wife’s 2017 EL Limited with Hellwig’s sway bars. Made a huge difference in cornering stability. No doubt it will also improve towing stability as well. Also replaced the stock 4-ply junk tires with some 8-ply BFGoodrich all-terrain tires as well. Travel trailer comes out later this month and will be able to test the trailering improvement.

What was the impact to ride comfort on rough pavement?

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered a rear Hellwig, but it's on back order. Wondering if I should be replacing the front as well?

The rear sway bar doesn’t look too different, but a few you tube reports and my personal anecdotal “feel” sees an improvement. The front is a monster compared to what was stock.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did I read somewhere on here that rear air suspension models came with a weaker rear anti sway bar? If this is true and one has swapped out air for coils, then I probably would upgrade the anti sway bar before towing. Idk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What was the impact to ride comfort on rough pavement?
Zero ride difference, even if you didn't have one. Plus trailers rock not the truck unless you have torsion bar load levelers. Everybody wants to change everything but no need to here unless you hang corners on mountain roads every day.

UTEngineer

Reaction score
Zero ride difference, even if you didn't have one. Plus trailers rock not the truck unless you have torsion bar load levelers. Everybody wants to change everything but no need to here unless you hang corners on mountain roads every day.

The right sway bar on your tow vehicle will improve the drivability and traction, help with better cornering and less body roll. When you have your pride and joy travel trailer in tow behind you, better performance from your tow vehicle can be the difference in making it to the campsite or not.

UTEngineer

Reaction score
I ordered a rear Hellwig, but it's on back order. Wondering if I should be replacing the front as well?

I replaced both.

The upgraded front sway bar made the most difference in daily driving, and it significantly reduced body roll in corners and thru bumps.

The upgraded rear sway bar made the biggest difference towing going into corners, especially downhill corners on tight mountain passes. And it also helps with rear end sway caused by trailer sway, especially in high crosswind situations.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have any issues with body roll whole towing. But the handling could improve while unladen, especially rebound and body roll. Might have to look into this upgrade. We frequently drive at 70+ here in Texas and handling at those speeds leaves much to be desired.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I replaced both.

The upgraded front sway bar made the most difference in daily driving, and it significantly reduced body roll in corners and thru bumps.

The upgraded rear sway bar made the biggest difference towing going into corners, especially downhill corners on tight mountain passes. And it also helps with rear end sway caused by trailer sway, especially in high crosswind situations.

I looked on Hellwig site found rear but no front for 1st gen.