Upgrade/mod Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So as far as the cat-back exhaust systems, did your mechanic say that more for the fuel mileage or known problems/reliability? are the cat's know to plug up?

And for the air filter, that's definitely on my list, but still doing research. Trying to decide whether to upgrade to the cold-air intake or not. Does anyone have any data (power or fuel mileage) on improvements after upgrading to a CAI setup?

Look into the "gotts mod" instead of a CAI. You can essentially create a CAI using a stock Ford piece in your airbox.

I dont think the cats on this truck are any more or less prone to plugging up than anything else. A cat back exhaust system would do nothing to help or hinder that anyway since you'd be replacing the exhaust after the cats.

OP
OP
James Cain

James Cain

Reaction score
Look into the "gotts mod" instead of a CAI. You can essentially create a CAI using a stock Ford piece in your airbox.

I dont think the cats on this truck are any more or less prone to plugging up than anything else. A cat back exhaust system would do nothing to help or hinder that anyway since you'd be replacing the exhaust after the cats.
I will check that out. And yes that makes sense about the cats. Thanks!

OP
OP
James Cain

James Cain

Reaction score
Just ordered an SCT X4 from 5 Star. Spoke with them over the phone and they were very helpful in answering all my questions (believe me I had plenty lol). Seems like really good people.

OP
OP
James Cain

James Cain

Reaction score
Heater hose: Dorman 626-540

As for tuners, contact Five Star Tuning. Their stuff is solid and wakes up the truck with reliable performance. I specified the towing tune because I've found it gives good power without stressing the engine or drivetrain.

Good info and added to the list. thanks!