Upgrade motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What all does it take to switch out the 4.6l with the 5.4l? Should I just stay 4.6? I need to replace my motor. My timing was worse than was originally thought and it is not worth putting the money into the motor that has 165k miles in it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything can be converted, but it's not as easy as you think. It's not like the old days where you can throw in a bigger v8 in a Ford Galaxie, or Chevy Impala. Your going to swap computer, I'm betting sensors are different. You've got to be willing to do a little more homework. And then will it pass smog, or state inspection? We've a member here that shoehorned in a V10 into his Expedition. But he knew going into it, the job wasn't plug and play. Best advice, stay with same year 4.6 engine, when time is right, move up to a bigger SUV/truck that has all the bells,whistles you want. Just simpler that way.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the valves and such bent on my truck when the timing went. All the timing components were replaced. Should i go another 4.6 motor or just replace the heads? Any opinions on that?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anytime you've got a motor breakdown, it can be either beautiful inside, if your a lucky person. Personally, I'm like the red haired step child, that always runs into road blocks. Like Gary said, you got to get dirty, and tear into it. Like the old saying, expect the worst, that way your not disappointed. I'm a real picky mechanic, as all that know my writings will attest, but I learned from the best. You can't, and don't cheat, not if you don't want an early failure, or in my past,
a customer comeback. I learned way back when, better to sell the customer, or yourself on the proper fix up front, or have them tow it, or drive it somewhere else. If you cheat, they always comeback, and expect the rest for free. Tear it apart, or have a shop do it, see what your up against. Who knows it might be ok.

OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a different motor with the same Heads? Just curious if I only look for the 2003 4.6 heads or what.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the 5.4 changed to better breathing heads in 1999. That bumped horsepower to 260. I think their called Romeo heads, because their made in Romeo Michigan. The 4.6 motor on Mustangs have quite a few different options, pi,non pi. Different cam profiles, etc. Do your homework, if it's more hp your after, theirs a lot of different options you can go, to bump things up. As far as Expedition heads on 4.6, their built a little mild, more for torque than top speed like Mustangs and crown vics.