Urgent matter from potential buyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've owned several ford cars and trucks,they are as good as any other and better than most.it's like anything else if you maintain it it will serve you well.
I don't have little ones but I do have a 94 yr old mother I care for and there is absolutely no way on God's green earth I would trust her life in one of those window filled beer cans called mini vans. I think an expidition is well suited for your needs. Some will cry about fuel mileage but I had a neighbor 25 years ago that put his wife and kids in a small Honda and lost all his family when a cement mixer crossed a median and ran over there car. He comitted suicide a year later. Your family's safety is crucial.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned several ford cars and trucks,they are as good as any other and better than most.it's like anything else if you maintain it it will serve you well.
I don't have little ones but I do have a 94 yr old mother I care for and there is absolutely no way on God's green earth I would trust her life in one of those window filled beer cans called mini vans. I think an expidition is well suited for your needs. Some will cry about fuel mileage but I had a neighbor 25 years ago that put his wife and kids in a small Honda and lost all his family when a cement mixer crossed a median and ran over there car. He comitted suicide a year later. Your family's safety is crucial.

You’re dead if a cement mixer T-bones you with that kind of force in an Expy. Our tin foil passenger vehicle doors and side curtain airbags aren’t doing a thing when 25,000 pounds comes our way just sayin’.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’re dead if a cement mixer T-bones you with that kind of force in an Expy. Our tin foil passenger vehicle doors and side curtain airbags aren’t doing a thing when 25,000 pounds comes our way just sayin’.
25,000 Lbs? Try 90,000 Lbs when loaded!

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lesson learned is you are safer in a bigger car than a smaller car. And in this case it would have been likely some lives would have been saved.
That was the opinion of the Virginia state police accident investigator. Nowhere in my statement did I say the cement truck T boned the honda.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coming from a 4runner, you have experienced one of the most rock solid reliable vehicles on the road that holds it's value so much on the used market it is better to buy new than used.

I traded in a 2007 Sequoia with nearly 160,000 problem free miles on it for my 2017 Expedition. Why? Expeditions drop in value on the used market like crazy. It would have cost at least $8-10K more for an equivalent Sequoia when I was looking. I got a 1 year old Expedition with less than 30,000 miles on it for less than a 1 year old 4runner. Although a large part of the price drop was the redesigned 2018 Expedition but a look at 2018 models shows the trend continues. I also needed to tow a 6,000+ utility trailer a few times a year. If not a 4runner would have been my 1st purchase choice although an AWD Sienna would actually meet my needs best. It's just me and 2 greyhounds using it.

So the lower cost to purchase on the used market, the towing capacity and being able to purchase a Ford factory extended warranty and still be less than a Toyota put me into the Expedition. I've got nearly 56,000 miles on it now and it too has been very good. Once/if I hit 150,000 miles on it problem free, I'll brag about it.

If you want to save $$$ look into used Expeditions. If they are less than 3 years old and have less than 36,000 miles you can buy the Ford extended warranty. Here is where I bought mine. You can buy them from any ford dealership. Flood Ford has figured out that selling them at a lower price online brings them a lot of business.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1e6h1K6H4wIVAV6GCh313gxKEAAYASAAEgKnlPD_BwE

PS You are used to Toyota level reliability, quality and resale value. A Toyota Sienna which would meet your needs (as described) would be a much less expensive total cost of ownership vehicle.

If you are like grey ghost and are worried about size of vehicle for safety you can always buy a Ford F650 to transport the kids.

ford f650.jpg

Last edited:

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now on the plus side. Here is a Ford Ecoboost F-150 owner that has 365,000 miles on his truck which has has recently handed down to his son. He did routine maintenance with the exception of changing the spark plugs more often and no issues with it. This is the generation 1 motor which the 15-17 expeditions have. 18+ have a redesigned one.

Go to the 1st page of this thread.

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/...les-my-2011-eco-boost-385k-mar-2019-a-14.html

I don't want word of ecoboost ford vehicles being reliable getting out as I want to keep getting bargains on the used market. LOL

Also of note: MY 2017 Expy is getting better gas mileage than my 2002 Tacoma did. Just know that it's Eco or Boost. If you have a heavy gas pedal foot mileage will drop significantly but dang that motor/transmission makes the Expedition scoot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wheelman

Reaction score
E01E0D2F-F13C-434E-8E74-6E18CC0A3F74.jpeg Great point about resale value. I’ve looked at 2018 Expeditions where costs are surprisingly low for a one year old vehicle. Definitely something to consider, especially if buying the extended warranty. My 4Runner is likely to sell for 52-55% of the original purchase price, which is quite nice considering it’s a seven year old vehicle.
I haven’t looked at crash ratings yet, but my understanding is the Expedition is top in its class, which is a big plus when hauling valuable cargo like I am. Funny the F650 is mentioned. I briefly looked into this modded NV, though I quickly disregarded it as it won’t clear the garage door height.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And on a somewhat related topic....activeX, is it less or more durable than regular leather included on limited and platinum? I’m assuming its a synthetic material designed to look like leather?
Many thanks in advance!

You'll find activeX is a man made synthetic something. Looks and feels like genuine leather. Its lightyears ahead of Pleather.

Just about every automaker is going this direction, each as a catchy name for it. Mercedes = MB Tex, BMW = SensaTec has replaced Leatherette, Nissan = Sofilez & Prima-Tex depending on model, Toyota = SofTex, Mazda = Maztex, Volkswagon = V-Tex, Kia and Hyundai = SOFINO, and so on. Tesla's only leather offering is its steering wheel, but vegans can order it without the material.

PETA is one of dozens of reasons we are seeing this move.

KDisMe

Reaction score
I had an F150 when I got out of the military and you couldn't point at much and tell me I couldn't pull it or drive through it without me trying. I beat it up pretty well and it was still going strong after 8 years and 125K. I replaced it with another F150 and although I was admittedly much nicer to it, it was still going strong after 9 years and well over 100K as well, and the majority of my drives are city miles. I replaced it with the Expy because it was the right time to do it and be comfortable with equity before we need a car for a 16 year old down the road and I know this one will still have plenty of life left in it when I have to get him something and don't want to have multiple payments. We stumbled across an Explorer on the used lot one day several years ago that was too good to pass up and my mother in law insisted on buying the Edge my wife had been driving because it was such a reliable car and she's still going strong in the Edge and my wife hasn't had a single problem with her Explorer. Like others have said, pretty much all of the manufacturers are making things cheaper than they used to, but I've been happy with my Fords for many years.

OP
OP
W

Wheelman

Reaction score
You'll find activeX is a man made synthetic something. Looks and feels like genuine leather. Its lightyears ahead of Pleather.

Just about every automaker is going this direction, each as a catchy name for it. Mercedes = MB Tex, BMW = SensaTec has replaced Leatherette, Nissan = Sofilez & Prima-Tex depending on model, Toyota = SofTex, Mazda = Maztex, Volkswagon = V-Tex, Kia and Hyundai = SOFINO, and so on. Tesla's only leather offering is its steering wheel, but vegans can order it without the material.

PETA is one of dozens of reasons we are seeing this move.

Great info, thanks!
I wonder if anyone’s compared the wear patterns, appearance, or general durability of activeX after 30k or 50k miles. I would love to see pictures.

Last edited: