Using Mobil 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have a 03 expy with 6,200 miles and would like to switch from Dino oil to Mobil 1 synthetic. The only thing holding me back is that Mobil 1 does not come in a 5w-20 as recommended by the owner’s manual. Will using 5w-30 do the same job as 5w-20 ?

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Mobil 1 website (www.mobil1.com) suggests the following:

"5W-20 All temps
Although this viscosity is not available in Mobil 1®, you can use Mobil 1® with SuperSyn™ 0W-20 with confidence. 5W-20 is available in Mobil Drive Clean Oil™. It is always wise to check with your vehicle's manufacturer for viscosity grade recommendations."

I would think that the recommendation is good, but if you want to go with another synthetic manufacturer that makes 5W-20 , you can try:

Amsoil (www.amsoil.com)
Royal Purple (www.royalpurple.com)

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read that article also on the difference (or indifference) between the 2 weights. Mobil-1 is convienent and available so I have been using the 0W-20 since I bought my Expy.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be okay whether you use 5W-30. I personally use Castrol Syntec 5W-50.

As for 0W-20, I guess it's okay if Mobil 1 says so. 0W is not that far off from 5W in viscosity, but 0W oil is thinner and could possibly seep through some seals. It's a possibility, but probably unlikely (again, 0W isn't that far off from 5W).

Just my opinion.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WHOA! KEYDO. I hope you are not using 5W-50! That can be detrimental to the motor. I know you are in Cal. but oil pressure increases as it gets cooler. 50W will blow the filter off under hard acceleration (I think there is a check valve in the filter). I have heard this happen with municipal and government vehicles.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ummm...

All multi-vis oils of the same weight (first number) are the same when cold.

Second number means that the 5W won't thin anymore than a 50 weight oil would at the same temp... BY PERCENTAGE.

Just an FYI, multi-vis oils do not thicken when hot.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to elaborate more on what monsta says, I borrow the following:

"Multi viscosity oils work like this: Polymers are added to a light base (5W, 10W, 20W), which prevent the oil from thinning as much as it warms up. At cold temperatures the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot. "

50 weight oil is simply too high a viscosity!!!

Again, I borrow:
"Viscosity is a measure of the "flowability" of an oil. More specifically, it is the property of an oil to develop and maintain a certain amount of shearing stress dependent on flow, and then to offer continued resistance to flow. Thicker oils generally have a higher viscosity, and thinner oils a lower viscosity. This is the most important property for an engine. An oil with too low a viscosity can shear and loose film strength at high temperatures. An oil with too high a viscosity may not pump to the proper parts at low temperatures and the film may tear at high rpm."

Go to
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html
for the complete text.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by rwinch

50 weight oil is simply too high a viscosity!!!

I would agree but only because it is not recommended.

The nice part about the oil is that it retains more of its orginal 5W viscosity than a 5W-20 or 5W-30. It is factory fill in high performance cars, too.

I can't see the harm. Except maybe to my wallet... :D

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Monsta ,

You are correct about the viscosity. However I do re-iterate that the 5W-50 is to extreme of range for these motors. Today's engines are put togehter with far more tolerance specs today than yesterdays motors. Even filter technology has come along way with the introduction of check valves inside. There is obviously a reason WHY Ford has elected to recommend a viscosity of 5W-20. I know it is mainly for improved fuel economy and considering the terrible gas mileage it does get...I am all for it. Just my .02