Valve covers!!! Need info!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dairyair302

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My valve cover is cracked and leaking oil. 03 5.4, is it a romeo head or a 13/14 bolt vc??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Romeo heads have the cam girdles. Windsors do not. You might be able to look through the oil fill cap and tell?!

They do have different bolt counts as well but do not remember off hand what they are.

I believe the cars generally came with romeo heads.

Mine are windsor valve covers. If you check out the misc photos I have posted it may help??

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f44/another-blown-expy-coming-soon-11485/index5.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dairyair302

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are windsor heads factory according to rockauto.com ......
I am not sure if I have the stock heads or not tho.
I pulled one off my mustang that has romeo heads.
Its the last thing that this shop found that needs fixed so I can drive the darn thing.
Im gunna drop off this romeo vc in the am and see if its correct. If not I guess I will go to ford with some vasoline and take it for a new set of junk plastic ones :-(

OP
OP
D

dairyair302

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.ramscyl.com/PagesHeads/Ford 54-2V.html
Mine did come factory with windsor heads, they have been changed out for romeo heads, not sure why. This link explains the difference in head design. Here is my head (romeo)
reme2adu.jpg

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The new ford racing 8 thread count heads are all romeo.. May be the reason why it now has romeo heads. If I was going to go through the effort of porting the 2v PI heads I would want to start with some 8 thread castings. Don't like timeserts or helicoil type fix in boosted applications. Have seen a fair share of lightnings that have eaten up spark plug bosses with them. Not sure if it was the root cause or not but they all had inserts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dairyair302

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's my guess. Finally got this thing on the road...... 75mph getting 7.19mpg :-/

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
That's my guess. Finally got this thing on the road...... 75mph getting 7.19mpg :-/

Damn!!!!!!!

Mines an economy car in comparison... guess its the lift and tires??

OP
OP
D

dairyair302

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its runs 5 psi the entire time so it must be a brick to keep moving.
Hopefully the m122 swap will get a little better ecenomy. This 2.1kb is not efficient at all.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Nice cnc ported heads there! Any more pics? Exhaust, combustion chamber, etc....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik