Vehicle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
08Navigator, check out the link from Crutchfield. Your right about changing the head unit. Up to 14, it was fairly easy. Amplifiers as a rule sound good, unless something is wrong with it. I'm thinking, either they cheaped out on speakers, or some kind of filters are involved putting a veil over the output of mids/high frequency.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think you can swap out the Ford sync 2 headunits since they are heavily tied to the workings of the car. I'll look into the speakers. I'm going to take it to the dealer for the suspension issue and also get them to look into the front doors since they both rattle like crazy when the music is turned up a bit.

Our 2008 navigator is so powerful you can only get the volume to halfway before your ears can't take anymore and nothing rattles. This system in the newer nav just feels wayyyyy underpowered. I'm sure a stronger amp would help even the stock speakers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You can still swap them out. Also, there are upgrade kits to move from Sync 2 to Sync 3, which functionality wise is MUCH better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can still swap them out. Also, there are upgrade kits to move from Sync 2 to Sync 3, which functionality wise is MUCH better!

I have a rental with sync 3 and it really is much better

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a rental with sync 3 and it really is much better

Sync 2 uses a Windows framework at its root. Sync 3 uses QNX, written by RIM, and is very efficient and lean. It addition to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Support if you swap out the USB Hub at the same time. If you are keeping the Nav for a while, it is Well worth the investment.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sync 2 uses a Windows framework at its root. Sync 3 uses QNX, written by RIM, and is very efficient and lean. It addition to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Support if you swap out the USB Hub at the same time. If you are keeping the Nav for a while, it is Well worth the investment.

Found kits on eBay around $1100. Sound right or is that high?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Found kits on eBay around $1100. Sound right or is that high?

Do not do EBay. I can message you a name to look up on FB. He has kits and has helped several Edge(My Other Ford Car) Owners get theirs upgraded.

Cost will be better and you will have some support. There are also several sites out there that sell kits, but more expensive.

You need to be comfortable with programming, because you will need to use FORSCAN to make some changes.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you can swap out the Ford sync 2 headunits since they are heavily tied to the workings of the car. I'll look into the speakers. I'm going to take it to the dealer for the suspension issue and also get them to look into the front doors since they both rattle like crazy when the music is turned up a bit.

Our 2008 navigator is so powerful you can only get the volume to halfway before your ears can't take anymore and nothing rattles. This system in the newer nav just feels wayyyyy underpowered. I'm sure a stronger amp would help even the stock speakers.

To this day, my 09 nav had the best system ive ever hrd in a vehicle. Its the one thing i miss the most since i traded it in.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To this day, my 09 nav had the best system ive ever hrd in a vehicle. Its the one thing i miss the most since i traded it in.
If it's the same as the 08 thx system it kicked butt. It was so damn powerful. Half volume was insanely loud and clear.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other thing I noticed. My 20k 2013 Ford focus had touch sensitive door handles that unlocked and locked the vehicle when you touched them. The 2015 navigator does not. C'mon Ford wtf.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen prices around $1000 without GPS, and add $1200-1500 to include GPS. However with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay the GPS would be redundant with your phones.